Switching from fresh water to marine

reefboy

Newbie with a HUGE undertaking
Reaction score
Thank you red deacon.

@SFlow, yip will do the SW soak after 4 - 6 weeks. I must say day 4, it started acquiring this mature smell :m14: which means that I am on the right track.

RiaanP

Reaction score
Plain RO water, ok dead things will decay. But once you move over to salt water, then only will your cycle process start up. The bacteria colony you would build up until then would likely die off.

Better to do this with salt water.

reefboy

Reaction score
Plain RO water, ok dead things will decay. But once you move over to salt water, then only will your cycle process start up. The bacteria colony you would build up until then would likely die off.

Better to do this with salt water.
I get that, these rocks are very dirty. I would prefer getting rid of the major stuff first and then do the saltwater cycle. I have loads to prepare for before I can even think about having fishies. :) Problem I face is that by the time the rock cures in saltwater then I might still not be ready to power up the aquarium as I need to replace some lights first and other odds and ends.

reefboy

Reaction score
One step closer. Rock is clean, sand is perfect. Almost ready for water. Just have to tweak the plumbing and sump. Other than that when I have all the salt, the water is ready to go in and then the natural cycle can start. I am buying bacterial starter.

Excited, it has been 3 months now.

Attachments

reefboy

Reaction score
Got my RO Filter getting, just have to connect it all up. Also working on the plumbing.213854

reefboy

Reaction score
Ok so the tank is up and running. Salinity is perfect, ammonia undetectable, nitrate - off the chart > 50ppm, nitrite - off the chart > 50ppm, ph - 8.2. I cannot test the ph alkalinity as I do not have the test yet. All of this at a temp of 25° C

I did add Red Sea starter.

Skimmers pumping as well as a calcium reactor.

Reaction score
So tank is still busy cycling. I would turn of the cal reactor untill you have corals that could use the ca and alk. You going to push the levels through the roof now if nothing uses the elements

reefboy

Reaction score
So tank is still busy cycling. I would turn of the cal reactor untill you have corals that could use the ca and alk. You going to push the levels through the roof now if nothing uses the elements
Thanks Dexter,

The tank started clearing up, tweaking the overflow speed and water levels. Skimmers are skimming and it is looking good. I have switched off the CA reactor.

RO system connected and so far everything is balancing out. Just have to wair for that infamous cycle.

Attachments

Reaction score
Cool. Setting up a tank is so much fun. As soon as you get more corals and you see your alk and ca levels are dropping you can fire the cal reactor up. If you only going to do soft coral you won't even need the reactor.

reefboy

Reaction score
Cool. Setting up a tank is so much fun. As soon as you get more corals and you see your alk and ca levels are dropping you can fire the cal reactor up. If you only going to do soft coral you won't even need the reactor.
It has been a fun couple of months getting here. Bank balance would not agree but everyone's input helped :)

I am looking at both hard and soft. My plan is to tackle one monster at a time!

Just need to find a cup of good live sand to seed this tank.

Just one question, I used a starter. Why would ammonia be undetectable bit nitrites and nitrates be off the charts?

Reaction score
Did you add a ammoniak source?
If you did and ammonia I 0. But nitrite is still detectable it just means the tank hasn't finished cycling.
Basically the nitrogen cycle goes from ammoniak, nitrite and then nitrate.
When both amonia and nitrite is 0 then tank has finished cycling. For nitrate you will have to implement some other form of filtration to get rid of it.

reefboy

Reaction score
Did you add a ammoniak source?
If you did and ammonia I 0. But nitrite is still detectable it just means the tank hasn't finished cycling.
Basically the nitrogen cycle goes from ammoniak, nitrite and then nitrate.
When both amonia and nitrite is 0 then tank has finished cycling. For nitrate you will have to implement some other form of filtration to get rid of it.
I added the red sea starter.

Well I guesss I just have to be patient :). Also didn't make sense to me at first as ammonia is first in the cycle.

reefboy

Reaction score
You have a picture of the product you used?
I am looking for the box, it is somewhere between all the PVC cuttings and glue.

I am surprised, my water went from semi cloudy to almost crystal clear in two days. Since this is my first tank, I was like a child this morning when I saw it. Almost looks like thise display aquariums at the pet shops :)

My next order if business would be 4 more LED ballasts and a grow light. I think this would set me back by around 20k.

I got this old 14k magnetic ballast grow light. The bulb blew a week ago and I am not sure where to get a new one.

Lastly I might need some help on the CA reactor. I'll post pics later but I don't think it is quite right or i am not sure if I was caught for a fool because the guy saw a newbie coming :). I have switched it off.... but when the time is right i need it to work. The pebbles i bought does not move around inside, they are just static. Again I have no clue as I am learning and it is older models so very little documentation on the net.

So far with manual building, the tank is performing very well. I have a 20k l/h flow between the display and dual sump system. (Sounds like the one is failing, there is a small crack in the magnet).

I have ordered wifi controlled switches for the lights as well. I have yet to get to the scheduling the lights which I also have to read up on.

Reaction score
give me a shout if you need help with the cal reactor and i will try and assist. Tank is coming along nicely.

reefboy

Reaction score
Did another test today....

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- between 20 and 50 ppm. (Couple of days ago it was 250ppm +)
Nitrate- between 0.2 and 0.5 ppm (couple of days ago it was 1ppm +)

Top Bottom