Switching from BioPellets to DSB

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So the pump from my biopellet reactor packed up last night, obviously it is a Sicce Syncra and stock is impossible + expensive to find - Also, by the time I do manage to get a replacement, the pellets will more than likely be frot.

What are your thoughts on starting up a DSB in an established tank? negative effects?

On my first tank I ran a DSB from day 1 and I must say it was a pleasure. My current sump does have room and was designed for a DSB so from that point it is easy enough.

If you got enough space for a nice size DSB, why not. The playsand is a lot cheaper than other alternatives. Although a lot more work to clean it.

If you got enough space for a nice size DSB, why not. The playsand is a lot cheaper than other alternatives. Although a lot more work to clean it.
If memory serves me right, please correct me if I am wrong.
You need the equivalent display floor space as a size for the dsb and a minimum of 15 cm depth, for it to be effective especially if you have a medium to high bio-load?
Also it can take 6 months befor it becomes effective and you have to run a filter sock to prevent the dsb being contaminated with detritus. Additionally a good clean up crew to maintain it won't hurt.

Nope, The smallest successful DSB I had in relation to tank size was 30%.

Can take up to 6 months, if you do not help it at all. But a cup of sand from an established DSB in healthy system and you will jump start that process a lot.

Thinking about it a bit. Its more related to your bio load than your tank foot print. Your DSB can be as the "guideline" and it will not be able to keep up with an overstocked tank. Especially if you stock the tank too quickly.

Settlement is an issue. Need to siphon it out at times. I'm not running filter socks.

Cost wise, a bag or 2 of playsand is a lot cheaper than a NP Pellet reactor. And a DSB is not really a "touch it and it dies" animal. I had rather long power outages with no ill effects. Not something I would even try with a NP pellet reactor.

At the end of the day, your filtration option should match your lifestyle. For me, a DSB is far less work than other options. Plus tank sitter does not need to do anything under the hood.

Nope, The smallest successful DSB I had in relation to tank size was 30%.

And here I never ran a DSB because I thought that the sump was not big enough to have a successful DSB...
What you say regarding stocking does make sense though.

other factors like to slow flow over the DSB, related to sump turnover rate also impacts the DSB. Same turnover rate on different width sumps gives different flow rates.
Most guys with issues got to slow a flow rate. Leading to excessive settlement.

And its better to switch off your return pump when you are feeding. Again less settlement, with DSB or not.

Back
Top Bottom