Swimming pool to koi pond conversion

dendrosa

Reaction score
I am looking to convert my pool into a ki pond this coming wnter. Research so far indicates that this is doable, however one aspect that seems to have differing opinios is the question of whether the pool has to be drained first in order to remove accumulated chemicals, or whether one can just stop adding poolchemicals and gradually over a period of months clean the water with bio filtration water plants etc.
Has anyone done this before? Any comments , guidance and tips welcomed.

Personally, i think i would drain the pool completely, then clean all the sides, filter equipment in Miltons (baby bottle sterilizer stuff) then rinse out, then refill and use the tap safe to get the water safe for your fish.
Unless you can get a list of the chemicals that were used in the pool and ensure that they are safe - not just individually but mixed in the cocktail in your pool.

You are about to spend probably 1000's of rand on live stock - why take the risk.

thats true! However I wouldnt be stocking in one go. The conversion of the system and eventual stocking would happen over a period of 6 to 8 months. The only chemicals that has been used that I'm aware of are Chlorine - which degrades pretty quickly and occasionally hydrochloric acid to adjust PH. What other trace elements could have been introduced during pool maintenance ?

Back
Top Bottom