Swimming pool filtration

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Rory, 14 Jun 2009.

1. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Was wondering what people on here reckon the best way to keep a pool is. Chemistry "variables" are similar to aquaria but with different goals in mind...

The main solutions seem to be chlorine and salt.

Chlorine pretty much everyone has swam in a chlorine pool before. Bit of a hassle to test and add chlorine etc but month mates seem to work pretty well. After reading the propoganda from the salt water proponents the chlorine system really doesn't sounds that good. Strong chlorine also doesn't sound very desirable for swimming in etc.

The salt systems require no chlorine to be added because it is generated by a chlorine generator ($$$). The chlorine generator sounds pretty much like some electrolysis to split the NaCl so it becomes coated. Also the amount of chlorine generated is low so it's required to be run pretty much 24/7 so you lose out on electricity costs and you need a pump running to circulate water through it. The benefits are lower stable levels of chlorine in the pool so the water isn't as irritatin to eyes/skin.

Another option seems to be running all water through UV sterilisers. I know these work terribly on tanks because they are usually very underpowered. I imagine if you ran some pretty powerful ones on a pool it would work for the water but you will probably still get algae on surfaces because it will never pass through.

What will probably work a bit better than this would be ozone. You need quite a big ozone generator ($$$) but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's more of a "natural" way to kill the algae etc.

Another option I found online is called "eco smarte" and works on basically putting copper into the water (also electolysis by the sounds of it). I think we all know copper is pretty good at killing stuff... I think this *should* be cheaper than O3 or CL2 generators and having to replace UV lights all the time but it's probably not marketed like that.

What do you guys think?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rory

Rory Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

No-one?

4. noproblem

noproblem

i run a salt chlorinator on a 65 000l pool and a backwashless filter system by Cleansweep.
    works like a dream. I have also fitted a retractable bubble cover that helps with keeping debris out and allows me to run the pump a bit less

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Chuck a truck load of sand inside, and all issues will be sorted :p

6. Rory

Rory Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

In pool DSB?

7. Mekaeel

:thumbup:

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Haven't you heard of 5-in-1 floaters Rory? One a month and my pool was perfect, never had any hassles.

9. Mekaeel

lol, You had a pool? Was it ever clean :p

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Rory - make a HUGE seawater pond of the pool! ;)

No - to be serious - I don't know THAT much of swimming pools - even though we have one. (We rent - so I cannot make it a marine pond :()....

BUT - even though I never measure the water - I just check the state. If it is green - I overdose on chlorine.... and only if there is FAR too much chlorine in the water, I would dose SOME acid....

Generally - I only put some chlorine in the water.... and backwash the pool filter every now and again....

Recent Posts