Sweeper Tenticles??

Reaction score
Just need some clarification on what i think sweeper tenticles are. So researching on frogspawn before i got one it told me they have sweeper tenticles that come out at night and so other corals should be kept a fair distance from it. Lol this I took to mean its tenticles get longer at night. However on reading about clams i read that they can too have sweeper tenticles that come out at night?? So this confused me...yesterday i got my frogspawn in all its beauty and i noticed when it was put in the tank these see through almost spiderweb like strands coming off it. Are these the sweeper tenticles that they speak of? I take it that they are.

Any idea where newbies like myself can find better info for researching fish and corals they are interested in buying? At the moment i use your site, about.com, wikipedia and this american fish store that suprisingly has a lot of info on items that they have for sale.

maybe a pic will help.

IMG_2296thb-1.jpg

those longer ones are the sweepers, the others are normal tentacles.

some corrals have alittle larger "personal space" than others so they send out stinging tentacles that hit other corrals if they are close. thats why some corrals need a little more room around them.

Mmm not sure where you getting the info on the clams sweeper tenticles.

All corals are ferocious predators, some more than others. In a world where they constantly have to fight for survival (Space on the Reef) They need to be able to fend for themselves as well as wage war to dominate future territory.

They will extend sweeper tenticles, mostly at night but also in daylight hours. As with the example that Crispin has posted, the Euphillia specied have pronounced tentacles that are easliy visible. Other species such as Favia have very fine, hair like sweepers that are just as potent.

It's always adviseable to give corals adequate space in your tank and not overcrowd, as they will wage war on each other.

Thanks for the pic Crispin, ya i think those were them, will have to check and see if they around again. Not sure about the clam, maybe made a mistake on that one. Will look it up.

If i may attempt to describe them in words. They are hollow cylindrick Tenticles with the same colour as the normal Tenticles. They are longer than the normal Tenticles and they have a rounded tip which contains more stingers than normal Tenticles. They usually come out at night and do not play a significant role in catching food as previously thought

MY frogspawn shrinks to a small size at nite, this bad??
In the day though its almost 7 times the size tho.
I do notice the longer tentacles at the base. This coral however seems like quite a fast grower :D

So they look like normal tenticles only see throughish? hmm dont think what was coming out of mine looked like the other tenticles. Could it have been excreting something from being unhappy from bumping around on the move from LFS to my tank? Seems fine this morning though, looking healthier than yesterday .

MY frogspawn shrinks to a small size at nite, this bad??
In the day though its almost 7 times the size tho.
I do notice the longer tentacles at the base. This coral however seems like quite a fast grower :D

No, they do that - they inflate themselves with water during the day ;)

Lol no, just from other people's experience (like the wife that thought it looked out of place and wanted to break it off- shht, she made me promise not to say anything, and that was after Alan warned her when he was here)

On a serious note- only the 220v, on a regular basis. But just about everything inside the tank nailed Alida as her hands are forever in the tank, from a clownfish to a sea urchin and everything possible in between :lol:

On a serious note- only the 220v, on a regular basis. But just about everything inside the tank nailed Alida as her hands are forever in the tank, from a clownfish to a sea urchin and everything possible in between :lol:
lol....i'm yet to get hit by LS in anyway, but that elec also hammers me regularly!:yeahdude:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom