Swaping to new DSB

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by mandarin, 13 Sep 2010.

1. mandarin

mandarin

I've built a seperate room so that i can move my DSB from under my DT. There will be two 1000mm x 300mm x 350mm tanks one above each other. Overflow from DT to top tank with T3 skimmer, DSB and ATS above, overflow to lower tank with DSB and pumped back to DT. Now the question, can i transfer my old DSB sand to the other two new DSB's or would it be better to let it cycle threw the old one as well untill the cycle is complete then remove the old DSB.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

iI'd start with new sand and keep the old one running unit the new one has matured if thats possible.

4. danimal

danimal

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Previously in this year when I moved over to my big tank, I had both DSB connected for 3 months before I moved over. So by the time I completely removed the old system, the new DSB was 100% capable to handle the bioload.

6. mandarin

mandarin Thread Starter

I think this might be a better option, got to much to loose if i take shortcut, there are 21 fish, inverts and corals but what i'm mostly worried about is my nennie. Gamble is to big. Thanks for all the input guys.

7. mandarin

mandarin Thread Starter

My new DSB's have been running for more than a month now and there are hundreds of pods and other critters moving around on and in the sand. One QUESTION, can one siphon the top layer with all the critters (about 20mm)from the old DSB directly to the new DSB's so that i can remove the old DSB. The reason for this is that i struggle to keep the water level constant. I run two return pumps, one from new to old dsb ( can't gravity feed because same height as old one )and one to DT, this is not easy all though i've got valves to adjust the flow it doesn't stay constant for long. Even the ATO doesn't operate correctly, almost had a few floods, lucky i was at home, this is nerve wrecking. I spent way to much time with the tank and the wive get's mad :nono: So fellow reefers help me with this one.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Connect the one return chamber with the others first chamber and only use one return pump. run sumps in series.

Use 2 connectors. 50mm PVC in a turn-around "U" shape
    On highest point, drill 6mm hole, and put an airline or garden irrigation pipe into that. So you can suck out the air manually to start the syphon. Or you can attach the thin pipe to a venturi opening of old stype powerhead to automatiacally pull out any bubbles. Both ends of the 50mm pipe must be cut at a 45 degree or more angle so that you do not block the ends.

That is how I started or moved over.

9. jaybeepee

jaybeepee

I have just complete this exact thing. I basically ran my 2 sumps in series - made a 50mm U to siphon water from one DSB to the other, basically keeping the water levels in both DSBs the same. I put a few pieces of cured LR in the new DSB and left it like that for a good 3 months. Once is started seeing bubbles in my new DSB I disconnected the old one. I have been running with the new one for about 3 weeks now and all is well!!!!...... touch wood ;)

What ever yuo do dont stir up the old one or transplant - I have been down that road before!!!!!!

10. mandarin

mandarin Thread Starter

Sorry for the late reply, this is a very good idea but the problem is that the two new DSB's are in another room i built on and won't be able to connect in series, for now i drilled a hole in the wall for a 25mm clear flex hose to go to the old DSB.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Polifiller...

go for 50mm hole.

Recent Posts