Suspended reef

Reaction score
hello:wave2:

iv spent the last 24 hours absorbed in Anthony Calfo's "book of coral propagation and found a method of increasing floor area for sharks and rays in my new system!!

I would like to suspend my rock from a pipes attached to a beam across the top of the tank ,the rock will be grilled and stiched to a piece of rigid pvc

the rock can hang around 30 cm off the tank floor and will look awsome when corals start to grow !!
here is a rough sketch of what im wanting to do

suspended.jpg

so what do you think?

Reaction score
If you can make that work it will look brilliant. I think the weight is going to be major concern. You are going need a strong support structure above the tank.

Reaction score
it will look pretty cool!! i will have a steel frame above the tank from the wall so it should be pretth strong!! will only have about 50 kilos of rock on each "stalektite"

Reaction score
As you say going to ideal for your sharks and rays. And imagine seeing those beasties swimming under a heavy corralled reef. Seen any pics of this sort of setup?

Also would you have to make some of the lighting directional ?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Man Calvin, unless you build a serious rig and make 300% sure the rocks are attached I would not try it.

If you get those two thing right I like the idea it has merit.

But again man I would not sleep, on biggish rock falls and it mop time

Reaction score
Hi Calvin
Still extremely a novice at this but what about a Arch or two. The weight distribution of LR using maybe two stainless steel rod could possibly work. As im looking into the idea of scaping some arches when I begin.
Calvin wants the entire surface for the rays etc. :slayer:

Reaction score
kanga relax boet ill be making sure its not going to collapse!! I know anthony has done this with great success

Reaction score
I would also make sure that it can't move within the tank should it get hit. If it has any leverage it will put huge strain on the top attachment and possibly even wack into the side glass...... having said that........:thumbup:

Looks wicked.

How big's the tank?

Reaction score
I would also make sure that it can't move within the tank should it get hit. If it has any leverage it will put huge strain on the top attachment and possibly even wack into the side glass...... having said that........:thumbup:

Looks wicked.

How big's the tank?
The top bracket would have to be solid, with no movement. Sure Calvin is designing this type of design.

Reaction score
thats what im working on if you push it it shouldnt be able to sway more than a few mm
the tank is 1300l and 130cm tall naptalini

Reaction score
Just found the thread on the tank :slayer:

Always wanted a predator tank with corals in the middle......lucky guy.

Maybe you can run an inverted pyramid as struts running down the sides of the main piece of PVC. If you did 1 on each side it shouldn't budge and give extra support to put rockwork on..... I'll try sketchup quickly :)

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Naptalene, just one question with your inverted pyramid? How do you intend supplying light for the corals?

Reaction score
Figured that the structure would be inside the structure, purely as a strutbrtace.

But you have a good point, I suppose it would take up a huge amount of space if you built around it that much, or the braces would be at such an acute angle that they wouldn't do much good.

That's why forums rock :yeahdude:

Get rid of all these daft ideas before making them :lol:

Reaction score
nice idea dude but as kanga mentioned lighting would then be a problem

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
That's why forums rock :yeahdude:

Get rid of all these daft ideas before making them :lol:

Yip I saved a fortune like this and once every so often one of those daft ideas become a Great idea:thumbup:

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Simply invert naptalenes pyramid so the big base is at the bottom and the point is at the top (like a normal pyramid), all corals will then get light.

Calvin said:
so what do you think?
I think you need drawing lessons.

Reaction score
ill pretend I diddnt hear that !! dont wanto offend the elderly folk