Survey Forum for potential SA product

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Feedback' started by Nemos Janitor, 18 Jul 2013.

1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I posted this on a thread that had bordering commercial posting under the forum rules. The thread originator was asking into SA market trends and if it was viable to go into business.

My opinion...

I think that a separate forum for potential "South African" product surveys might be benifical to the industry. We as South Africans need to encourage SA content into the industry. If the survey is for imported items then that is another issue.

What are the thoughts out there????

Last edited: 18 Jul 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

We all know that there is a demand for aquarium products, i think its up to the importers/wholesalers to support SA products and make them available to the public.

4. Bendor

Bendor

Proudly SA when possible for sure but it has to compete reasonably. Good products made locally rock my boat by I won't buy any piece of ship only because it has a "proudly SA" sticker on the box.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

100's David :thumbup:

However, how does a reefer or new entrepreneur gauge the SA market if we cut off an avenue to opinions and or the market demands.

Surely there could be some sort of support for these entities trying to bring goods to the SA market.

We have seen efforts come and fade away here on MASA, mostly due to the high expectations of the entities. These realities can be highlighted by surveys requested and new product entrants informed of the ups and downs.

6. 459b

Maybe SA needs to find its niche. We cannot compete with the far east in terms of manufacturing price and we all know that will always determine sales.
    Instead of trying to copy others we should be investing in unique products.

7. Nemos Janitor

David, how is that going to come about without a avenue to survey? MASA has 7000+ members. Should we not be getting bigger and extending a helping hand to those that want to create and/or produce product?

8. 459b

We have created an avenue to survey. If you read all the Urgent threads or beginner threads, you can quickly see what areas need new or better products.
    The problem with asking a direct question about the need for a new product is that someone else may steal your idea

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yip.
    or try to understand, and when they don't understand or can't get all the details... Well, not going into details. But yes, easy to copy a product.

10. Nemos Janitor

What is wrong with competition? All MASA will be doing is creating a DB for ideas and members opinions. Will also help the importers gauge trends.

No, to troll through all those threads is not on for most. Perhaps some homework for you on your spare time.:p

11. 459b

What's spare time?
    Considering the number of users, MASA is a very comprehensive place to scan potential national clients. If you look at any other line of work you really have to spend days and weeks researching multiple sources to get a glimpse of potential markets.
    Perhpas the wholesalers could let the public know where there is a hole in the market and let the local guys develop something first before importing another product from overseas.

12. Nemos Janitor

David, all is cool bud and we are discussing.:thumbup: Consumers dictate not the wholesalers. Consumers are the ones to ask what products and services they require. How can any wholesaler determine a hole in the market? Based on what?

A MASA survey forum might help. IMO.

edit: This is not to read that the wholesalers will discover a hole in the market but that possible entrants discover opportunities.

There are other Ideas i am sure. Lets hear them from the members.

13. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

well there is a local manufacturer and i dont think they are sponsors, based in CT.

the problem is that we expect a locally made product to be cheaper, which in my opinion is wrong, also will shops stock it? support and spares? all of these are factors to consider. we are a price driven market and import duties etc on raw materials make it expensive.

I am all for local business but we have to many barriers to entry

14. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

We've explored this option before, if you are not able to produce in mass quantities (then still overcoming the barrier of not making mass sales in your local market) it is just impossible to come close to the guy that's rolling off 1000 skimmers a month and exporting their products worldwide.

The majority of end consumers are price driven period ! So if there's a R500 saving, no guesses what product they will end up buying.

Last edited: 19 Jul 2013
  15. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

there should be a line between marketing surveys for importing ready made products and brands from over seas and locally designed and manufactured products. there is a big difference between ''i'm thinking of importing ......... from China, it will cost .......... are you fellow reefers interested'' when not a sponsor on the forum and ''i have an idea about manufacturing a .......... it will work the following way and it will look like that'' when the product has been completed and tested and pictures posted one should become a sponsor on the forum if not then he should be only supplying the product to the sponsors who can in turn market and retail to the rest of us.

im sure someone who's thinking of going into mass production and manufacturing has considered that. the risk is always there

16. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

spot on but that doesn't mean that one must not be given the chance to try.. we all take risks in business and any new venture is no guarantee of success

17. CarlosF

CarlosF

I myself will never buy anything that is made in south africa, no sabs approved or proudly south african. Rather spent my cash on overseas products and even made in china before made in SA

18. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

why not? is there something about south african products that we dont know (proceeds going to Al-Qaeda etc.) hope not :D

19. CarlosF

CarlosF

its just my personel preferance, i just dont support anything anything that has to do with SA. Just me lol

20. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

I imagine you work for an international company and live overseas?

Therefore have no appreciation of the quality, passion and ingenuity that goes in SA products. (Your forgiven for your opinion)

21. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

dude i have one advise to you.... try biltong :D

just kidding its cool.

Recent Posts