Surprise in my tank today...

Ross

Blenny
Reaction score
Was staring mindlessly at my tank after a clean today and noticed some funny looking spikes.... turns out to be...

Not sure where he came from or what type of Urchin he is (know nothing about them so will hit Google in a bit). At the moment the body is about the size of 1 and a half jelly tots.

Jaak

Foxface
Reaction score
Nice find Ross!

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
lovley they come in lodged in crevices in LR.. and grow rapidly.. always nice to find something new in the tank...

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
That's quite cool, lucky for you it's an urchin and not a mantis shrimp :p

Ross

Blenny
Reaction score
Just glad I didn't find the little critter the hard way with my fingers under a rock or something.

Just for interest sake, if you do get nabbed by an urchin, use papaya skin on the site. Will help sooth the pain and soften up the skin to get the spike out. Found this out the hard way in Zanzibar :p

scubaninja

Achilles Tang
Reaction score
Just glad I didn't find the little critter the hard way with my fingers under a rock or something.

Just for interest sake, if you do get nabbed by an urchin, use papaya skin on the site. Will help sooth the pain and soften up the skin to get the spike out. Found this out the hard way in Zanzibar :p
ya i always keep papaya skin on hand incase i get wacked by a sea urchin:whistling:

Falcon

Yellow Tang
Reaction score

hmm interestinn and could come in usefull thanks ross.hey are there any non reef safe urchins?what do most species eat?i've heard that some will eat polyps etc.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
hey are there any non reef safe urchins?
Ya, one of these things, all they do is poop everywhere and move the damn furniture around, I still haven't forgiven Alan for giving it to me.

1492d3465b10c9.jpg

crispin

Kingi Angel
Reaction score
Ya, one of these things, all they do is poop everywhere and move the damn furniture around, I still haven't forgiven Alan for giving it to me.

1492d3465b10c9.jpg
love the protective sponge viper, was that for your protection or his??:)

and yes they are brilliant at rolling lr off the reef:(

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
love the protective sponge viper, was that for your protection or his??:)
lol, he loved that sponge, every time I took it off him and put it back on the pump, within a week he would find it and steal it again.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score

Falcon

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
haha...some unlucky reefers...oh well atleast you dont have A BORING tank right mouse:)