Surge Rate?

moz

Reaction score
Is there any ideal surge rate? I’m looking at building wave makers into a proposed tank, but the cost of controllable pumps is prohibitive. Would 20 liters ever 5 min in a 1000 liter display be acceptable or pointless? With two such systems each pump only turns on once every 10 min.

Will the 20l be flowing through a pipe or will it be similar to a dump bucket?

Will the 20l be flowing through a pipe or will it be similar to a dump bucket?

Neither, the pumps will be placed in the holes in the chambers each side of the overflow. Hope the pic is clear.
22848c3ed1376d07.jpg

I think it would make for a better refugium than a surge .When you get the correct controllers for the motors then go the wavebox root.
Why are there so many holes in the base. Im guessing a cls.

Wavebox is the idea I was going for, but DC pumps are a bit pricey. Yes the holes are for CLS, although I'm thinking going with fewer holes.

I own a tunze wavemaker, so i have an idea of what you trying to similate, but i dont think its going to work without the proper controllers. All that i forsee happeing is you pump the well empty and then get air bubbles and noise and pulsing the motor on and then off every ten minutes will have very little bennefit IMO.
If you can get your head around the idea, why not try and create some sort of plunger that plunges into the well pushing the water out the hole and then it lifts up again sucking water back into the well. Will have a very similar effect. You could run with this idea and even make it sort of cantilever so that the plunger plunges one side whilst the water pushes the plunger up on the other side and vice versa.

I own a tunze wavemaker, so i have an idea of what you trying to similate, but i dont think its going to work without the proper controllers. All that i forsee happeing is you pump the well empty and then get air bubbles and noise and pulsing the motor on and then off every ten minutes will have very little bennefit IMO.
If you can get your head around the idea, why not try and create some sort of plunger that plunges into the well pushing the water out the hole and then it lifts up again sucking water back into the well. Will have a very similar effect. You could run with this idea and even make it sort of cantilever so that the plunger plunges one side whilst the water pushes the plunger up on the other side and vice versa.

That sounds like an idea, either a piston or bellows type setup. All I would need is a low rev motor and a cam.:thumbup:

That sounds like an idea, either a piston or bellows type setup. All I would need is a low rev motor and a cam.:thumbup:
Yip, uShaka has the same type of system in their anemone tank, works great.

Wavebox is the idea I was going for, but DC pumps are a bit pricey. Yes the holes are for CLS, although I'm thinking going with fewer holes.

I've got a couple of the Resun DC controllable pumps - paid R550 ea. They work well.

BTW, Two Oceans aquarium in Cape Town has a very successful plunger-based system driven by a cam in their large Kelp tank. I met one of the blokes there a while back (Kevin was his name, I think), and he seemed very willing to help us to design one.

Q

I've got a couple of the Resun DC controllable pumps - paid R550 ea. They work well.

BTW, Two Oceans aquarium in Cape Town has a very successful plunger-based system driven by a cam in their large Kelp tank. I met one of the blokes there a while back (Kevin was his name, I think), and he seemed very willing to help us to design one.

Q

I'm still deciding if a surge device is worth the trouble, would love one, but salt creep, higher tank, trouble with auto top-up.:(

Quinton - I am just waiting for Thalion regarding the timer circuits for my 2 ReSuns.... as soon as I ahve that I will build my boxes, like in the thread we discussed.... I will let you know as soon as I have something more..... I REALLY still want to build those surge boxes! My tank will be able to handle the side-to-side water flow, as my water level is reasonably low, and I have Euro-Bracing as well, to stop the sloshing of water....

Back
Top Bottom