Surge device?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Very cool, but couldn't imagine myself trying to build that, have a look in our links for surge device, there is a much simpler one there :D

Reaction score
i wonder how it might mess with an auto top-up device...

Reaction score
Very cool, but couldn't imagine myself trying to build that, have a look in our links for surge device, there is a much simpler one there :D

cool thanks, but simpler than this? :)

SurgeDevice.gif

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Apart from the noise, when it drains itself, at the end of the cycle, it sucks air to break the siphon so that the pump can catch up again. That air is blown all over your corals etc.

Reaction score
Apart from the noise, when it drains itself, at the end of the cycle, it sucks air to break the siphon so that the pump can catch up again. That air is blown all over your corals etc.

That air cannot be that bad? That is the same thing that happens when a wave break over the reef. As long as you have proper waterflow to stop the bubbles from froming airpockets underneath the corals, you should be okay.

Yeah they may be unsightly at times, but do we have to care for our corals or for our viewing pleasure? I feel that is a fair trade off for the health of our corals.

My 2c

Wikus

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
That air cannot be that bad? That is the same thing that happens when a wave break over the reef. As long as you have proper waterflow to stop the bubbles from froming airpockets underneath the corals, you should be okay.

Yeah they may be unsightly at times, but do we have to care for our corals or for our viewing pleasure? I feel that is a fair trade off for the health of our corals.

My 2c

Wikus

Didn't say it was bad. Just doesn't look very nice.

Reaction score
Reaction score
The problem with the bubbles is that they get sucked into my other pumps and the water starts to look cloudy because of all the micro-bubbles.

Reaction score
I have been running a Carlson surge device for some time on my system, and I must say, for R300 and a bit of time, its the best bang for your buck in the flow department. Yes sure, it creates quite a few bubbles, but like cybervis said, pretty natural occurence in reef crest corals habitat.
It does wreak havoc with an auto top up, but only happens once, until the top up has added the volume of the surge bucket.
To completely overcome this "non obstacle" I have put the surge device and the top up on independant timers, so only one of them is functioning at any given time.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
im too tired to even try attempt another one of these..