Surfing the Big one

Discussion in 'Sports and Lifestyle' started by seank, 17 Feb 2010.

1. seank

seank

Just saw this on the web- and no Lesley, I am not taking up surfing:lol:, was looking for surfboards for my kids;)

[​IMG]

Australia is synonymous with surf and beach culture. In 2007 we could finally be proud of our surfing prowess once again when Mick Fanning won his first world title. But three years ago, it was right here in our very own surfing Mecca, otherwise known as the Goldie, that shaper Nev Hyman broke two world records simultaneously: the world’s largest surfboard and the most people ever to successfully ride a board to shore. The board in question doesn’t really resemble a surfboard so much as a small yacht. It’s 40ft long, nine feet wide and was ridden by 47 surfers at Snapper Rocks in March 2005.
    This proud Aussie product is now on a major fundraising tour of the US to mount another wave-riding world record attempt in Huntington Beach. After which owner Nev Hyman is hoping to give the surfboard one more seriously big ride by towing it into a “real” wave with a handful of guys properly surfing it. Then the board will be homeward bound and – if Hyman has his way – will become a gigantic advertisement for a new surf museum at Burleigh Heads, expected to open in mid-2008.
    Where // From mid-2008 you can see the surfing behemoth at a new surf museum in Burleigh Heads.

Did you know? // The previous world record for the most people riding a single surfboard looks rather pathetic in comparison and was set in rainy Cornwall, England, when a total of 14 surfers rode a narrow paddle board to shore. Wow. But, then again, not everyone’s got 300 litres of resin and about $50,000 at their disposal.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

ha ha i have seen that one before.. nice sean thanks for sharing oh and you should at least try surfing, its awsome :)

4. seank

seank Thread Starter

Only if I can get a big surfboard as the one posted above- I'll leave the smaller ones for my kids....lol

Any suggestions for surfbaords for my kids Les???

5. leslie hempel

mmm how old are they sean and have they surfed before? if they are beginner go for NSP.. (they are epoxy and a sort of mini mal.. so easy to balance on and awsome to gain confidence.. they are also pretty hard so can take a little abuse from a novice..

they not cheap but well worth the cash (you will save alot on repairs).

it would all depend on their level of abitly..

6. seank

seank Thread Starter

11 years, and 10 years

7. leslie hempel

have they ever surfed?

8. seank

seank Thread Starter

nope, never, but they can move with a skateboard, street surfer etc etc

9. leslie hempel

ok sean i suggest the following , get someone to give them a few lessons on a longboard.. this is an excellent confidence booster and will almost gaurantee they stand up on the first session.. obviously they will be playing in the shore break untill their skills develop.. i kknow it may not be cool to to be seen to ride a longboard but it will provide very important grounding.. i started on a short board from day one and took 2 months for me to stand and 4 months before i rode a wave.. wasted time imo.

they can then progress onto smaller boards as they master standing and turning to run with the wave..

its an absolutley awsome experience and i recomend everyone try it at least once in their life..

dont let them go to the dark side (bodyboarding).. they will forever be lower on the foodchain than a surfer and it will limit where and with who they can surf.. i say this with experience as the heirachy at nahoon reef feel nothing for bodyboarders and even paddle skiers wait on the shoulder.. we have very old timers who have stood the test of time and been present in the big surf conditions.. those who offer respect get rewarded the same..

the best thing you can do for your boys is support watch them every now and again and encourage them.. surfing is harder than it looks and actually quite something to master.. it will be an acomplishment for them..

10. leslie hempel

oh and as for skateboarding look at these rather than the normal boards..

[​IMG]

normal boards make your surfing flicky these tupes of skateboards allow you to gracefully carve not interfering with your surfing too much..

the balance principle is simular but owing to the surfaces you are ridning ontop of (water = unpredictable vs tar = more predictable), skateboarding can actually damage your surfing...

either way i still skateboarded untill i got hit by a car :)

11. leslie hempel

12. seank

seank Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Les, so it means I need to fork out for 02 longboards, and then afterwards, for two shorter boards etc, sheeezzz, I thought Reefing is expensive, just checked out the prices:1:

This is what my lighties are cruising around on lately- I get scared when I see them coming down the Road with speed- I look the other way:lol: . Unlike a skateboard, these things have only one wheel on each side- I tried- I saw my gat ....lol

[​IMG]

13. leslie hempel

Forgot about those they will do to an extent.. but why not get them one longboard and let them take turns and see how they develop..

are there any surfing development clinics in your area?

14. seank

seank Thread Starter

Nope Les, in this town it is all for one self. You obviously do not know my kids:p- they do not share with each other- hence the constant blue eyes, blood noses etc. And poor me have to buy each one the same thing the other oke have

15. leslie hempel

ha ha me and my nephews were exactly the same.. i know the drill.. if i can help any further just let me know.. but it looks like you going to be parting with some cash :)

16. seank

seank Thread Starter

cOOL, THANK YOU FOR HELPING OUT. wILL SEE NEXT WEEK (#%^$&^%&@ Capslock)

17. leslie hempel

ha ha cool one boet :)

Recent Posts