Superfrog's RSM 130D

Discussion in 'RSM Red Sea Max tanks' started by superfrog, 13 Oct 2010.

1. superfrog

superfrog

Time to share the new setup. As some of you know, I decided to dive into a Red Sea Max 130D as my next project. Really liked the look of these tanks and when I studied it a bit further it seemed like it really was worth it's pricetag.

So here goes...as with my pico thread, this one will probably be pic heavy. I likes pichers!

Tank set up, salted and stirred; threw in aragonite and waiting for the dust to settle...
    [​IMG]

Sugar fine Carib-Sea Aragonite
    [​IMG]

SunSun 3000 lph added until i can hook up something a little more fancy
    [​IMG]

Some good surface agitation provided by the stock return pumps
    [​IMG]

Stock skimmer in action. Nothing really great atm as there's pretty much zero bio load
    [​IMG]

surface skimmer in action
    [​IMG]

50/50 stock lighting and built in timer. Integrated moonlights switch on when day lights switch off or the moonlights can be manually switched off using the switch next to the timer...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Built in power center/distribution board thing.
    [​IMG]

Finally clearing up
    [​IMG]

stay tuned... ;)

Last edited: 13 Oct 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. superfrog

superfrog Thread Starter

After 2 or 3 days of the tank running with just water, it was clear that i was also going to fall victim to the notorius RSM overheat gripe.

Threw in a laboratory grade thermometer to keep an eye on temps.
    [​IMG]

Then decided to install 2 more cooling fans in the hood. Poor Bryan at Jungle Aquatics was mortified when I told him i cut the hood to install these :p (wonder if he's recovered from the heart palpitations...)

After I found the right size hole saw, this took all of 30 minutes to sort out.These things push some serious amounts of air...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Temps dropped by the next day to a stable 23.5 degrees (down from 25 degrees) without the skimmer, heater or lights switched on. This morning I tested it by switching on the skimmer and lights (still no heater) and checked back after 11 hours...Temps stable at 26 degrees (previously 29 degrees with all that stuff running)!!!

Now I just have to find a balance between the fans, heater, lights, skimmer and summer and I'm set. Have a working theory so this should be sorted in the next day or two. Going to keep the heater dialed in at 25 degrees and run all the cooling fans during the day together with the lights and skimmer. Then run only the stock cooling fan to counter the heat generated by the skimmer after lights out. Crossing fingers and hoping this works to keep the tank hovering around 26...

Also modded the stock cooling fan to cut down on the whining computer-like noise by trimming out the grills. This worked 100% for getting rid of that sound and seems to improve airflow ever so slightly too. Still looking for a suitable replacement for this fan as it's pretty useless in terms of air flow.
    [​IMG]

4. superfrog

superfrog Thread Starter

Next step was to deal with the increased evaporation. In all fairness, the tank was already drinking quite a bit each day and the cooling fans only increased the evap by about half a litre. In any case, this would really simplify my life again...it's quite a pain lifting a 20 litre jerry can to top off the tank twice a day.

Rigged up an ATO with a 21 litre reservoire and a 1800 lph pump...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Modded pump attachment to feed into tank
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Float switch installed into a pill bottle as a guard. Will eventually add a second float switch here as a failsafe. You can also see the ATO return line held in place using a suction cup.
    [​IMG]

5. superfrog

superfrog Thread Starter

And since I was feeling a bit creative at this point, I opted to mod a few optional extras into the ATO. :batman:
    I haven't finished all of them yet but here's a sneak peak...

ATO lighting: Blue = RO supply still good :thumbup:
    [​IMG]

ATO lighting: Red = RO supply running low (approximately 2 days' worth left in the reservoire) :scared:
    [​IMG]

Close ups
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lighting really makes it easy to tell how low the RO is getting without having to kneel down and check it out in the reservoire. My wife even made me some fill markings at 1 litre increments which are blissfully easy to read when the reservoire is lit up! At least she's earning her keep... :rofl:

That's it for now... :wave2:

Last edited: 13 Oct 2010
    Jenaid and Dane like this.
  6. Dane

Dane

That is ridiculously awesome. The ATO indicator light is just brilliant. So much respektpa in my books for you right now. Sure this is gonna be a great build. Surprised to see an anologue timer in the RSM... for that price tag would've thought they'd go digital. One of the electro engineers on the freshwater board wrote an article on the perils of an analogue timer... apparently every time they reach the on/of point the physical break has a chance of shorting and tripping....? Maybe worth looking into?

7. Keanan

Keanan 2time

WOW. Thats just awesome, loving your DIY especially the light indicator. :thumbup: You do know that you are going to have to show us how you did it.;):whistling:

8. bryan

bryan Sponsor

BROADACRES SHOPPING CENTRE, Fourways, Sandton, JHB
    excellent DIY as always :thumbup:
    Well done !!

9. superfrog

superfrog Thread Starter

Thanks Bryan! Is it as bad as you thought it was? You really panicked when I told you i cut up the hood... :p

10. bryan

bryan Sponsor

BROADACRES SHOPPING CENTRE, Fourways, Sandton, JHB
    LOL...it's in fact the coolest and neatest mods I've seen yet on a Max130!!! :)
    You are way to good with the DIY thing heheeee :thumbup:

11. Scatmansworld

Scatmansworld

wow,excellent stuff.love the blue and red warning lights.GR8 work.:thumbup:

12. DudleyD

DudleyD

do you know if the 250 also has cooling issues?

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

blue and red lights is what people will have in the future ;)

14. Evo R

Evo R

Looking Great !!!!!:thumbup:

Cant wait to see it fully stocked!

15. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

looking good so far bro. if i may ask, how much is a tank like this? does it come complete with skimmer etc?

16. superfrog

superfrog Thread Starter

Hey man, I like your avatar :p hehe

The RSM 130D usually retails for around R8000. Comes standard with quite a bit of equipment including the skimmer. A few people haven't been too impressed with the skimmer but I find it to work quite well. There was a lot of hype caused by problems experienced on the skimmer included with the old RSM 130, but the 130D now includes a new skimmer that actually works quite well.

Here's a link to the red sea website. you can check out the specs...
    http://www.redseafish.com/redseamax/250Temp/redseamax/Red_Sea_MAX_specs130D.html

17. SIMS

SIMS

any updated on this tank?

18. Petzcafe

Petzcafe

Thats a cool looking tank!

19. superfrog

superfrog Thread Starter

Sorry guys, I've been neglecting my posts lately. I'll try to update from the last i left off...

Got the rock in and after several painful hours of stacking, arranging, glueing and puttying, I finally decided on the auquascape I liked!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. superfrog

superfrog Thread Starter

So it seems I may just be real lucky as this is the second time that I have been subject to a 'phantom' cycle. Simply put, In the first 3 to 4 weeks of the intended cycle I picked up only a small trace of ammonia during the first 3 days and thereafter all readings (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) read 0! This is despite having tried to kick off a bigger cycle with pieces of fish/shrimp, uncured LR, etc. I even tried several different brands of test kits!

So towards the end of the 4th week I decided that it was enough waiting and that I should perform a water change and start stocking slowly and see if anything more happened (FYI: I have still not seen any more readings of ammonia or nitrite...tested every 2nd or 3rd day).

At this point i transferred Jiggies (my little percula), a snail, the porcelain crab and the blue legged hermit from the pico into the RSM. Please excuse the pics, not my finest [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, with the lack of any evident cycle, algal growth in the tank was rather slow, if not non-existent. Needless to say that I was a little weary of adding more CUC members to the RSM since their wasn't much in the way of algae to keep their bellies full. So I waited another week and hoped that the clownfish and friends would be ok. They seemed real happy!

21. superfrog

superfrog Thread Starter

OK, a week later (now the 6th week), all tests were still positive with no ammonia or nitrite. Nitrates were also still undetectable by the test kits. However, I had noticed a bit of diatoms come and go during the week, with a little bit of brown algae starting to form on the rocks.

So I transferred the corals from the pico over to the RSM and purchased another perc friend for my clownfish. They seemed to hit it off from the beginning. I also got another member or two for the CUC. This included another:

2 X Blue Legged Hermits
    2 X Red Legged Hermits
    1 X Turbo Snail
    2 X Cerith Snails
    2 X Wild caught snails

A pic of the red legged hermit
    [​IMG]

Recent Posts