Super Selco Starving Copperband

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by cybervic, 24 Jun 2007.

1. cybervic

cybervic

Hi, does anyone know where I can find Super Selco in SA?

I've got a copperband butterfly that is going to starve if I can't get it to eat more. The idea is to hatch brineshrimp and enrich it. Hopefully he'll go for the live brineshrimp.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. sunburst

sunburst

I have been as concerned as you seem to be, for 6 months. My Copperband will not feed, other than his active foraging. His ruthless disregard for Aiptasea has made him a precious addition to my current setup. Providing you have adequate live rock i would not panic just yet. Observe, and watch for a slowing of alertness....then panic:)

4. cybervic

cybervic Thread Starter

Does being able to easily catch him in a tank full of liverock count? He/she's lost a lot of body weight and that is a conecern to me. He does have to compete with a six line wrasse and a "spekvet" mandarin for food in a std 6ft tank with about 60kg's of LR.

I've read that putting in a whole clam/mussel might do the trick. Going to look around at the seefood shops tomorrow.

I've even thought of infesting my tank with Aiptasea if he will eat that.

I've now moved him to my refugium which is swarming with pods and bristle worms.

Sorry to say but I am panic-ing at the moment. I should have read more on the fish before I bought it.

5. SIMS

SIMS

I hate reading about starving Copper Bands, I was a newby to the reefing world about a year ago and being such a good looking fish I got one, I would sit and stare at it for hours on end and then someone on SARK popped my bubble and told me about their eating habits. I have heard of people keeping them for long but I think it is one of those fish that should not be sold in the LFS as it seems that a very high % starve to death....

6. Afsal

Afsal

thats correct sims , havent we all made that mistake sometime or the other where we rush into things without researching first !!!

7. ed

ed

wicus u welcome to dump him with me, he should fatten up quickly in my sump

8. robvdv

robvdv

Mine was also not feeding on frozen food. I tried him on white mussels, normally used by fishermen for bait. Worked like a charm. He's also fond of black mussels and oysters now.

He was very timid in the beginning so the other fish would typically out-compete him for food. You may need to distract/separate your other fish while he feeds.

Also you can try and play to his feeding strengths. Crack a small hole (1cm) in the shell of the mussel so that other fish can't get to the meat inside.

Mine eats frozen mysis now, but struggles to catch food floating midwater. You may have the same problem with brine shrimp.

Good luck!

9. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Man now there is an idea worthwhile remembering

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Jun 2007
  10. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Cool idea robvdv. Also try to feed adult live brine shrimp, it may take some time to organise babys.

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

so far so good with mines.havent really had problems with him taking frozen food,tetrabits and picking on the live rock.try some garlic to get him to gain an appetite

12. cybervic

cybervic Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll take Ed up on his offer if I cannot get it to eat by saturday. Tried everything apart from the mussel. That will be on the menu for tonight.

13. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

all the best dude!

14. cybervic

cybervic Thread Starter

I'm sorry to say, but I have no hope that my copperband will see the end of today.

Thanks for all the advice, Ed I would have loved to take you up on your offer, but I seriously doubt he'll live till then. :(

15. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Holding thumbs for you Cybervic, good luck

Recent Posts