Super rare Captive Bred McCulloch's clownfish pair. $6000!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Matt, 2 Mar 2009.

1. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Drs. Foster and Smith Diver's Den® - Amphiprion mccullochi

Diver's Den® species are what-you-see-is-what-you-get - the EXACT item you are ordering, not a representative photo. This specimen is currently available. To order, click on the cart symbol below.

All Diver's Den® items must be shipped within 2 shipping days of placing your order.

$5,999.99

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i'll take a school of 20 :)

do the males have golden balls?

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

LOL! Perhaps they are the layers of "golden eggs" ;) Or perhaps - these days, platinum eggs....

5. Matt

Matt Thread Starter MASA Contributor

These fish must poop swarovski crystals! haha

6. robvdv

robvdv

It's the rarest Amphiprion out there. Only a handful of specimens were legally collected.

There's a good story behind this if you Google it.

7. Matt

Here is a photo posted by Ryan on MOFIB, showing off his captive raised juvenile Mcculloch’s Clowns. I’d expect most these went to Japan.

[​IMG]

So i suspect this dude was rolling in the money! wow

8. Matt

The following was quoted off of the MOFIB - Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders - Marine Fish Breeding / Saltwater Fish Breeding / Marine Invertebrate Breeding forum:

"The Mccullochi Story.

Licensing

My Mcc journey started in the beginning of 2005. I had decided to try my hand at breeding marine fish and was trying to work out which species I would attempt. When reading through Joyce Wilkerson’s book a snippet of info and a picture of Mccullochi clownfish inspired me to look into the possibility of tracking down these fish. At the time I did not even have a clue how rare and expensive Mcc’s were, I was just keen to do something unique. I had an idea of the protected nature of Lord Howe so I didn’t think I would have much luck but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask. I started by ringing the Lord Howe council. The person I spoke to said that they didn’t think it was possible but I should ring the Marine Park manager of Lord Howe to confirm it.

I rang the manager of the Lord Howe Marine Park and he initially said no, it would not be possible to collect Mcc’s from Lord Howe. He quoted some legislation which did make it sound difficult if not impossible so I left it at that for the moment. Being young, excitable and enthusiastic I kept on chatting to him about, marines, clowns and Lord Howe. Before I knew it 40mins had passed. At this time I brought up the possibility of collection again, quoting back some of the legislation. This time he didn’t say no, he didn’t really say yes, but he didn’t say no. He said he would check a few things and asked me to follow up a few things with the fisheries. After a few more conversations with the Marine Parks manager and the licensing officials from the fisheries I got the surprise of my life, they would let me apply for a one off collection license, initially just for a pair of clowns.

When applying for the license I brought up the fact that during the collection process some losses were common and asked if I could apply to collect more then the one pair to cover attrition. They said I could try but I wouldn’t know until the license was processed. So I filled out the license, requested that I could collect ten Mccullochi Clownfish and put down the Lord Howe lagoon as the possible collection site. In a remarkably short time I got my response, if my memory serves me right, I think it only took a bit over a month. Surprisingly they approved the license, they approved the collection of ten fish for breeding purposes, and they approved the collection site. I did have to collect in the green zones of the Marine Park in the lagoon. The green zones did not cover much of the lagoon, but it was enough. As you could all imagine I was ecstatic.

The license was issued on the 29th of January and it gave me one year to collect my Mcc’s. It turned out I would need nearly the whole year just to get organized. I had less then one year to set-up 5 different reef systems and possible QT and treatment systems. I also had to learn to scuba dive and teach myself how to collect fish. I also had to give myself a crash course in breeding marine fish. Didn’t seem like that much, boy was I wrong. I should point out that at that stage I had only been keeping marines for a year. That year was kind of crazy and is now kind of a blur so you’ll have to excuse me if I don’t have all the events neatly dated or in any real order."

Read the rest HERE

9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

sounds like something i would do

Recent Posts