SunSun Power Head

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
I was looking for something to blow detritus out of the back of my tank, so I set off to SamsAquarium to buy a cheap pump, well I looked at the pumps and saw the SunSun pump for R215 and thought well that looks like a rip of Hydor Korilia(it said 'made in china':lol:) it said 5000lh on the box, paid, so home I went with the pump. I put it in the the sink to get all the factory chemicals of the pump, switched it on and wow, what flow, its crazy how much flow it give and its so spareed, well here a video.
The piece of plastic in the sink is to show the flow,

MOV00457.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Just at look at the pump, the impeller is like no other i have seen. The pump is on a nice rotateable shaft on a suction cup base, here is a pic on the size of the pump and shaft,

DSC00475.jpg

here is the impeller and casing, Hydor Korilia match.

DSC00477.jpg

Here is the pump in my tank,

DSC00458.jpg

Pros:
low energy 12w
powerful flow
5000lh
brilliant price R215
nice size
spread flow
nice rotation
nice suction cups
I would rate it above the Seio pump(my opinion)
cons:
a little noise(about the same amount as TS skimmer(very faint)
copy of Hydor Korilia
European fitting (need to buy a plug before you can use it)

Feel free to comment on this thread, as I am writing this in purely my opinion so please don't criticize me, i am only doing this to help you guy who would like a review,
Jason Hargitai;)

wow 5000 lph for R215 thats awesome. might have to make a trip to sam's this weekend. even though i hate that place. thanks for the info.

those are great pumps i saw bushwackers in action he has a 12000Lph and man that things really pumps

What model is that 12000lh?

i have a 5000l in my tank. works like a bomb!
BUT
after a i'd say 8 months of use it has developed a rather stupid glitch.
when the power trips or the plug is bumped, it reverses the flow... so instead of blowing, it sucks. stupid thing. and very irritating.

however, i believe that these pumps are great, and that i think i just got a bad one... (if anyone else has this problem let me know??)
if i had to buy another pump, i'd go get one of these again!
the flow is incredible! and a cool part about it is that it doesn't have a solid constant flow, it almost feels like it is vibrating the water... very nice to help out with random flow!

Almost a M1500 and on spread flow much better!

Ocean, keep an eye on the impellor shaft, sometimes the cheaper copies go rusty, but as long as it is ok, that is a great little pump, perfect for what you want.

Weeman could I replace this impeller with anything do you think?

I like the look of the sunsun double pumps, they should operate quite well.

image044.jpg

Has anyone used the double pump?

Weeman could I replace this impeller with anything do you think?

I'm only guessing, it could be made of ceramic or stainless steel, i mentioned it because i have seen some of the cheaper pumps suffer this, as long as you keep a strict maintenance programme of cleaning your skimmer and pumps along with the water change routine you will spot any problems before they can affect the tank, so don't worry about anything just yet, it could be a very well made copy, it could even be an authorised copy.

If you compare to seio, I would say the SEIO is 10 times better quality.So in actual fact,I would rather buy a SEIO then two sunsun pumps...Just my opinion.

Saw the sunsun pumps for just over R100 here in jhb..

You would rate a pump on its price go ahead, i would rather buy the CHEAP pump to find out it good then say its bad because its cheap. Lets say i had to raise the pumps price by R400 and say MADE IN GERMANY, would you buy it?
My opinion;)

Interesting, a pump at just over R200 very nice indeed. I do think sometimes we get a little snobbish about cheap products. And although there is a lot to be said for quality there is also a lot to be said for competition. These cheaper products look also help people who would otherwise would not be able to afford to get into the hobby.

So from me Ocean, that looks like a good buy for the price.

Nice thread Ocean. I'm going to pop in by Sams to check these out. I wonder if any other LFS's in cpt have these?

Back
Top Bottom