Sunlight

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
It can, it can heat up the tank, it can cause algae growth, but if correctly controlled (i.e. used selectively - for a few hours a day) can help the general well being of the tank - it works in nature so you just have to adjust "daylight" to suit your tank.

Reaction score
Makes sense, the creator of life on our planet must be good in some way to our little bio-systems

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Wee-man, could you give more details
Tanks can benefit from sunlight but only if "used" sparingly, too much sunlight in your neck of the woods will overheat your tank, but if you can use the midday sun (don't ever forget that this is the life giver of our planet so it must be good for reefs in general) for an hour or so then your tank should benefit from it, but too much can give you problems with algae growth (the sun emits the entire light spectrum, we only want between 10,000 - 20,000k to encourage growth of coral rather than algae) there is a thread on here where sunlight is planned in - Bob's reef 2, have a look to see what i mean.

Mekaeel

Reaction score
im currently lighting my tank with the early morning sunlight.i get about 4-5 hours of direct sunlight on my tank.i noticed incredible growth on my SPS.in terms of algea issues,if your nutrients are high,it will aid algea growth.heat is a bit of an issue,but if you chiller can cope,go for it!

Reaction score
Sorry dude I agree on some parts but disagree on others. Resonse inline.

Tanks can benefit from sunlight but only if "used" sparingly, too much sunlight in your neck of the woods will overheat your tank, but if you can use the midday sun (don't ever forget that this is the life giver of our planet so it must be good for reefs in general) for an hour or so then your tank should benefit from it,AGREE but feel 4 to 5 hours may be better depending on the heating effect.

but too much can give you problems with algae growth (the sun emits the entire light spectrum, we only want between 10,000 - 20,000k to encourage growth of coral rather than algae) there is a thread on here where sunlight is planned in - Bob's reef 2, have a look to see what i mean. DISAGREE here. Lighting between 10 000K and 20 000K has very little PAR (Photosynthetically available radiation). Ok 10 000K has a usable amount but at 20 000K there is much less. Corals thrive better with a Lamp in the 6500K rating as they have more PAR available to them. But we choose to light with 10 000K and up because it is more visually appealing to us. Less PAR would stunt Algae growth but in the same way it would also stunt coral growth. People experiencing problems with Algae when using sunlight probably have nutrient problems to start with. The extra sunlight is just an accelerator, they would get a similar effect by doubling their light output.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
No...but heat could be a concern

Agreed the light would be great, I mean mother nature uses it for her reefs, but the heat will be a problem

Reaction score

Quote:
DISAGREE here. Lighting between 10 000K and 20 000K has very little PAR (Photosynthetically available radiation). Ok 10 000K has a usable amount but at 20 000K there is much less. Corals thrive better with a Lamp in the 6500K rating as they have more PAR available to them. But we choose to light with 10 000K and up because it is more visually appealing to us. Less PAR would stunt Algae growth but in the same way it would also stunt coral growth. People experiencing problems with Algae when using sunlight probably have nutrient problems to start with. The extra sunlight is just an accelerator, they would get a similar effect by doubling their light output.

Stupid question, but wouldn't it be better to run a normal 6500K MH over the 14000K to stimulate corals?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Quote:
DISAGREE here. Lighting between 10 000K and 20 000K has very little PAR (Photosynthetically available radiation). Ok 10 000K has a usable amount but at 20 000K there is much less. Corals thrive better with a Lamp in the 6500K rating as they have more PAR available to them. But we choose to light with 10 000K and up because it is more visually appealing to us. Less PAR would stunt Algae growth but in the same way it would also stunt coral growth. People experiencing problems with Algae when using sunlight probably have nutrient problems to start with. The extra sunlight is just an accelerator, they would get a similar effect by doubling their light output.

Stupid question, but wouldn't it be better to run a normal 6500K MH over the 14000K to stimulate corals?
Although it might be correct, your tank will be Yellow like Pee not attractive at all

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe run the 6500k when not viewing during the day and change over to the 14000k in the evening to view?
Good question, in theory i think you would be right, although I have no idea here.

lets wait for the clever people to tell us :D