Sunlight

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Hello crew
was wondering how many of you guys are lighting your tanks with sunlight,and what are your results.ive been experimenting with the idea for a day now to see if i can get better growth out of my SPS.with the curtains open the tank recieves around 3-4 hours of direct early morning sunlight.
cool

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
didnt Mille some time back take a PAR meter outside on a gentle sunlit day and the reading was almost 10 times higher than the MH over his tank?
or was it someone else or was it the little peroni man in my head.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
If you can get sunlight onto the corals for a few hours a day, go for it, absolutely awsum for them. Just watch your temps during this time.

Reaction score
i have done this before and my corals where the best in town but as you can imagen it was long ago i have gotten into the habbit years back of opening the curtains next to the tank as the sun comes up and leaving it open for 4 houers and yea it worked corals streached open and tank was good not like now now it is bad oh well it will come rite again

Reaction score
Hi Mekaeel,
I can see Mekaeel building a patio on to his flat to house his tank or sump.
cheers

Reaction score
that tank is damn awsome

Reaction score
hi
i have been running a 2000l plastic pond outside for about 4 months in the sun rain and all that stuff. got a skimmer on it no filters just deep coral pilled up on one side.it has about 14 fish in and i have had clams in it. brillant never love a fish or a clam. the water goes from about 18 to 35 degrees on some days. it varies about 15 degrees every day and no problem. so yes it works.
peter bee

Mekaeel

Reaction score
hi
i have been running a 2000l plastic pond outside for about 4 months in the sun rain and all that stuff. got a skimmer on it no filters just deep coral pilled up on one side.it has about 14 fish in and i have had clams in it. brillant never love a fish or a clam. the water goes from about 18 to 35 degrees on some days. it varies about 15 degrees every day and no problem. so yes it works.
peter bee
peter that sounds interesting.could you perhaps post some pics on this please

Mekaeel

Reaction score
Hi Mekaeel,
I can see Mekaeel building a patio on to his flat to house his tank or sump.
cheers
lol.Shane,if i was gonna end up staying in the apartment im currenly in wouldve done so ;) but in the new apartment the tank is very far away from the balcony so unfortuantley it cant be done :(