sunday, tank day:)

Reaction score
*&*&^%$### what a day!

I got up late with little really worrying me other than my temp has been rising. I have a chiller that I haven’t ever put in, so i thought 45mins, get a pump, connect the fella and things will be sorted.

how wrong!

I got a pump with ease, but then i needed more space in last chamber for the pump, so my phosphate canister got shifted to the top up reservoir. that meant the tubes were too short making a dripping noise. as i had it out i serviced it, replaced all the medium and lost a screw holding the lid down. then i fought the tube to get it on. as in seriously battled. 45mins and swearing i get new lines on it and that was the phosphate sorted.

then i serviced my return pump. cleaned and sorted it. while doing that i disconnected the hose and sprayed the couch (shut up mike! I’m serious I don’t want to hear it! ) and sprayed the electricity. sorted that crap out and the return is going far better, it really was dirty.

then i replaced two 54W tubes.

then i got a kalkwasser canister dispenser and tried to attach that to the auto top up. that was a bridge too far as i doing have connectors to take it from 10mm out flow of the auto top up into air line hose, don’t actually know how I will do that either.

then i did a 15% water change.

so 45mins easy Sunday project on my tank lead to 4 hours hard labor and a wet spot on the couch.....hmmm sounds like a normal Friday evening!

Then I placed a second temp probe in to find a distinctly lower reading from the one I had in…..pulled the old one to find its stuffed and that the temp wasn’t that high to start….but at least the chiller is inJ

*&*&^%$### what a day!
so 45mins easy Sunday project on my tank lead to 4 hours hard labor and a wet spot on the couch.....hmmm sounds like a normal Friday evening! :lol:
good stuff buddy:thumbup: i know how you feel with being naive and thinking 45mins will do the job, i say that too, ''oh just five minutes and then i'll go study'', its now the late afternoon and all i've been doing is fiddling with things that didnt need to be changed all day. I guess that is the tank's dark magic, like poison apples or something.

0002006E.gif
If there is one thing I am quickly learning there is no such thing as a 5min job when it comes to reefkeeping.When I tell my wife Im just quickly going to do something on the tank.."won't be 5min honey!"Her response is :" im sure you won't,see you in the morning!!!!!"

You rather stick to beekeeping :tt2:

a dart in the dark strikes home!!!!! i was supposed to harcest my bees topday but i didnt feel like doing it.....i would have been done in an hour had i harvested, so you are dead right there viper i should have stayed to my day job:)

0002006E.gif
If there is one thing I am quickly learning there is no such thing as a 5min job when it comes to reefkeeping.When I tell my wife Im just quickly going to do something on the tank.."won't be 5min honey!"Her response is :" im sure you won't,see you in the morning!!!!!"

that shouldnt be the case at all, she can see u all she likes if she cleaned the skimmer with u:)

LOL Crispin!

Sounds like NEARLY the day I had - except for the "spraying of the couch" ;)

I modded the small WeiPro SA-2013 skimmer and it's supply pump, that I have running in "my little pony" tank - GEEZ! What a difference! Now it is skimming ONE HUGE AMOUNT better!

THEN: I noticed my one small PC fan's wiring have come loose/broken off from it's 12V power-supply..... fixed that....

Then - I saw that my 2 x TS2's cup's and neck's were EXTREMELY thickly fudged with muck... So I cleaned that out too....

I then re-arranged my rock-work a little..... so my aquascaping is looking a wee bit differently... corals are now happier.....

So - there you go ;)

Fellow reefkeepers in maintenance!

jaques i want to slip a pc fan under hood, the double 80W t5 are giving me heat issues. but i couldnt get a 12v supply, where did u look, pc shops or electrical supply....ie how did u do it?

i hope...as in really hope that the electricity dries out soon so i can plug the rest of the non essencials in...at the mo I just ahve the main boys on......SO stupid dropping SW on extension cords...

Crispin - I actually already had a 12volt (from 220 volt) psu...

BUT - you can one from either electrical wholesalers..... or from Yebo Electronics (or a similar shop/company)..... (Yebo: Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce)....

i hope...as in really hope that the electricity dries out soon so i can plug the rest of the non essencials in...at the mo I just ahve the main boys on......SO stupid dropping SW on extension cords...

Don't you worry - this happens to me QUITE often! ;-)

Good luck with that!

Hey crispin, I know the feeling. Yesterday all I wanted to do was swap out some old T5 units that needed replacing. 3 Hours later they were done, the sump was cleaned, carbon was replaced, phosphate spunges cleaned, skimmer cup cleaned, topup switch rewired, topup drum filled up(floor mopped up) and wavemaker installed. Needless to say, I had to then make up with the wife for spending so much time on the tank... All in a reefers days work!:thumbup1:

Hey crispin go to camunica (cant remember how to spel that)in midrand they have the PC and 240v Fans there

I got up late with little really worrying me other than my temp has been rising. I have a chiller that I haven’t ever put in, so i thought 45mins, get a pump, connect the fella and things will be sorted.

how wrong!
Seems we all suffer from this, got up yesterday decided to service the skimmer pumps and reconnect the chillers about an hours work. the skimmer didn't take too long but the chillers were tripping the power. So yeah about 4-5 hours later finished up and had a fairly grumpy wife.

Seems we all suffer from this, got up yesterday decided to service the skimmer pumps and reconnect the chillers about an hours work. the skimmer didn't take too long but the chillers were tripping the power. So yeah about 4-5 hours later finished up and had a fairly grumpy wife.
Sounds like you had a great day Alan:whistling:

Day.....seems like its my life at the moment, wife still grumpy.

Back
Top Bottom