Sun light

Reaction score
Hi all
looking at some threads on the wep and on masa there seems to be a lot more reefers that are going the naturel way in using sun light to feed there tanks instead of MH250w .The tank look mutch more natural and held and cost savings are way lese My tank got 5 MH250w, 4 coral floro LED and 4 moonligts in so my cost saving in elec bill will drop!
So a'm asking you guys out there to pleas help me with this new projet
:thumbup:

Reaction score
what i've seen its good for the corals but bring on a whole different approach, you'll need to be able to control the heat, tank will have to have very little nutrients, otherwise theres a problem of algae......

moz

Reaction score
I think another thing to remember is algae growth.

Reaction score
If you controll your nutrients as you should anyway, I don't believe you should have any extra problems with algae. In fact your corals will possibly outcompete them.

Reaction score
Yes that is one of my main concerns the algae.
but i'm sure i can control the nutrients. Some one must just show me how!
Were can i get the reflecting plats and what is it maid of must i go for sealed units.

Reaction score
You need to get a big acrylic sunroof, preferably bigger than your tank depending on your roofing circumstances. If you contact aliminium suppliers and ask for highly polished reflective aluminium you will come right with the reflectors. It's the same stuff you see inside good halide fittings etc.

A problem you are more likely to face is heating especially in natal and especially as you will have very little space like a chimney for the heat to rise into. You will need strong evaporative cooling fans and a good extraction system to counter your low skylight.

Reaction score
looking at somting like this to put ontop of the tank ,the water will be 1m away from the roof top
99548cd48565c53a.jpg

i will put the reflecting sheets in side from top to bottom
</IMG>

Reaction score
So, do you plan a big version of this over your whole tank, if so you could put some of the greenhouse lifters to lift it open when it gets too hot in there.

Reaction score
will it work? with reflecting sheets haning inside or must it be mounted at an angle

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's very difficult to know how to mount those reflectors without seeing the tank and its angle to the sun etc. I would make the skylight wider than the tank and not use reflectors, just direct sun.

ps. I don't mean to sound funny, but if you used some punctuation it would be easier to understand and then answer your questions.:)

Reaction score
yes thanks:)
at this point i'm struggling to get the right suppler to help me with the flush/ vent that can make one to my dimensions do you know of any one there.

Reaction score
hi guys well i got a new idee!! instead of putting one big sun roof ontop of my tank i'm looking at putting 2 mh on ether side with one ducted light unit in the middle so now i will have the best of both worlds

99548cf94c2913d0.jpg

Last edited:

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Will look and work AWESOMELY Ben! Looking forward to the result.
Just take note that you might have some "dark spots/areas" in the tank if the skylight is so close to the tank.... the light will not be able to spread as nicely.
Also - you might want to add quite a few blue/actinic lighting as well, to improve the look of the tank (make it slightly more blue'ish) as well as bring out the colors of your corals and fish a lot more!