sun corals

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by robertkukla, 8 Apr 2010.

1. robertkukla

robertkukla

i want to bye a sun coral for my tank , i just want to know if i can only three months into having my tank or must i wait for it to mature more , also does it need alot of lighting or must it be placed in a shaded area ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi Robert...

I sent you a PM, and cause you stay around the corner from me I will give you hands on assistance...

But, for others that might have the same questions, let me give you a few pointers about sun corals:

* Sun Corals are LPS coral, the same as torch coral, frogspawn etc.
    * These corals are non photosynthetic coral (NPS) thus they have no zooxanthellae algae inside them to help feed them as "normal" coral does.
    * Due to the fact that there is no algae inside it's tissue, it needs to capture all it's food. In the wild, they feed mostly on phyto and zooplanktonic foods, marine snow, pods and shrimps etc.
    * They prefer highish flow, and in too little flow they will not expand their tentacles to capture prey, thus making them impossible to feed. Too much flow, and they food can not be caught by their nematocyst cells, so no direct powerheads...
    * Light is of no concern with them, as they lack zoo algae... Some suncoral (espicially newly harvested ones) tend to be nocturnal, and only opening at night when all lights are off. Sun corals do however "train" quickly and they start opening up earlier in the evenings when you feed, as they know there is food.
    * My suncorals are under a 150W MH and I also had them under a 18W T8, without any difference in the coral...
    * Feeding is the most important factor here. Some people feed their suncorals once a week, but to me this is a bit harsh. They will survive, but survival is not what we aim for - thriving corals and fish are our goal.
    * I would suggest feeding at least every third day max, but more is better. Feeding suncorals are best done via target feeding each colony with frozen mysis, brine, zooplankton, cyclop-eeze and the like.
    * The major drawback to keeping and feeding any NPS coral, is the bio load on your system. You need excellent filtration to assist in maintaining low nutrients and good water params.
    * Sun coral are easy to keep, but they do take a lot of dedication and tlc.

I hope this helps a bit... ;)

4. robertkukla

robertkukla Thread Starter

great thanks this is the only hobby i have to dedication to the livestock in my tank is no problem

5. robertkukla

robertkukla Thread Starter

jaco i will speak to you tonight before i go get a suncoral

Recent Posts