Sun Coral Question

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Ross, 18 Jul 2010.

1. Ross

Ross

Howdy

My wife picked up a great looking Sun Coral yesterday. Most of it opened up after about an hour in the tank so I though while we had the chance to feed it.

Well that did not go to well, as the food hit the water from the end of the turkey blaster my shrimps devoured it. Also they ran all over the Sun so it closed up. I know a lot of people put a half coke bottle over it but mine is in a over hang.

Any ideas or will it be ok for me to move it to a more suitable space feed it and then put it back?

Ta,

Ross

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

remove the coral from the tank and place it in a tupperware with tank water. Add a little food to encourage it to open up and then feed each polyp

4. Ross

Ross Thread Starter

So this should not stress it to much?

5. Tony

Tony

Not at all. A few guys do this because their fish and shrimp attack the coral and cause it to close up. You can also try different foods like frozen or even flake food. Mine used to love flake food. If the coral is well fed it will open up in the day so you can enjoy it. You can also place it in the light and dont need to hide it away under a rock

6. Ross

Ross Thread Starter

Thx Tony
    Will do that then.
    Mine was open this morning when I left for work so I am hoping it is a happy fella.
    Was wondering, is it a single creature or a whole lot in a colony?

7. Tony

Tony

Each polyp is an individual animal so each one has to be fed. I just remembered now, if you want to keep the coral in your tank and feed it you can feed things like cyclopeeze or coral frenzy. Its a tiny plancton based food which the coral loves and it wont attract your shrimp. Mix it up with some tank water and add it to your main display. Turn off your skimmer for an hour or so and make sure you dont have any filter floss to trap the plancton

8. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Ross, I have kept suncorals on all angles, be it upside down or lying on the substrate viewing upwards... I have also kept them from zero light up to 150W MH, and have shown no difference... People misinterpret the myth "NPS has to be kept in the dark..."

Let me just elaborate... At night, whether you think you dont have them or not, your tank starts living with many many micro fauna. Pods come out to play, mate etc. Shrimp that hide in rocks come out, and even planktonic foods all enter the "freeswimming" colun of your tank. For THIS reason, yes, NPS will open at night, as they have food in the column. Sit and watch an NPS tank at nigh, with a small little LED headlight, and just point the light to a gorgonian for example, and you will not believe the amount od food it consumes...

That said, our tanks still can not sustain NPS just by natural food sources - as you'd know.

Now, your suncoral can be trained to open up at certain times of thge day. Mine for example always opened up early morning and at around 17h00 (remember 150w MH is on then, and they were high up not under any overhangs etc...;)) If you repeat feeding times, your suncoral knows that food will be there at that time, and you'll see it opening up even before you put food in the water. Normally I then just teased them by squirting a littlebit of food over them, and waiting 20mins or so...

With regards to your shrimp - they are always a problem, even your fish might become and issue... Best thing is to lure your LS to the other side of the tank with food and then quickly spray food with turkey blaster or syringe over the suncoral. If possible, switch off your powerheads, that just makes it a bit easier for the sun to grab and cling to the food. Within 5 minutes, they would have grabbed the food firmly, and you can swithc on your flow again...

I would feed cyclop-eeze and coral frenzy as Tony said yes, but suncorals like brine, mysis etc. too (bigger sized foods...) You might even see better response with larger foods IMO. I always mixed TM Phyto, Zoo, Cyclopeeze and Mysis together. Then all the "smaller" foods get consumed too as it sticks to the larger foods.

I must disagree with Tony slightly on one thing; Suncorals are not individual polyps. Had that been true, we would never be able to keep them. Researchers found that a colony shares a "store-room" of sorts. If one polyp catches food, it will store the nutrition there, and all the polyps will live from it. Remeber that in the wild, most suncorals get linear flow, in other words the opposite side of the coral gets little to none food, as it lies in that little eddie area where little food gets "pushed" into it. Therefore, they can still harvest the nutrition from the "lucky" side of the colony. I have also experienced this, where I have placed my suncorals in such a way that it was almost impossible to feed some of the heads, yet the entire colony did very well.

I must admit, I have no idea whether this works the same way with branching suncoral. I have had to save two specimens, and here it seemed that only the heads that got food, actually recovered, the others just kept on dying, so I ended up having to take a very different course of action for them.

Sorry for the long reply, but I hop it helps. Good luck!!!:thumbup:

9. crispin

crispin

jaco i agree with all youve said above, and its a good post well done.

ross i would add that possibly the most important thing with suncorals is the need to be placed where it is easiest to feed them as this is the primary limiting factor (opposed to lights as they are non photosynthetic).

the most succesful placements of suncorals ive seen are often in the open in the lower light areas of tanks (ie often out to the side of reefs). This allows for the valluable real estate of high light areas to e covered with light loving corals while the less valluable but easily accesable areas can house things like sun corals tube nennies etc etc. overhangs are NOT required, but maybe advatageous in keeping algae off the sun coral, and obviously algae is bad for the coral and should be watched for.

the common storage pouch make the sun coral easier to feed but with the shrimps learning that fast to climb all over it you may need to isolate it at feeing with a coke bottle or in a tupperware and tony suggests.

PS tony nice to have you back:)

10. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

What i tend to do is broadcast feed the tank and give the shrimp a piece of mussel meat or tuna fillet then once they are all busy I feed the sun corals.
    I feed the Sun corals several times in a 15 minute period as they ingest the food and open up wide looking for more. this I do once a week. On odd days I broadcast feed the entire tank with Phytoplankton.

Both my branching and normal sun corals as well as my chili coral are on the darker side of my tank quite high up. the branching sun does take a bit of a beating from algae and i would not suggest it in a tank.

11. vision

vision

What I do every time i feed them ( or tying to feed my SC individually ) is to feed my fishes first. At the same time with it is dosing an "aromatic" substance like shrimp juice to lure the SC to open up their polyps.

And after a brief moment of feeding my fishes, it's now the SC's time to be fed.

:)

Recent Posts