Sun Coral - Location and other care

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Raven, 7 Feb 2010.

1. Raven

Raven

Hi,
    I've asked Jaco why my sun coral does not open in this thread:
    My Non Photosynthetic System (NPS) - Page 8 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

I've decided not to hijack his thread further, and start my own...

Ok most of my questions had been answered, but maybe I can get a bit more info and advice.

A bit more back ground information.
    I've bought the sun coral last week Sunday from our local LFS.
    And since I bought it, it had opened. I know that it will normally open after lights out.
    Every night I've checked - but he stay close.

I took Jaco's advice to take it out, put it in a small container and try to feed it.
    I must say, I did see SOME polyp extention, there were some movement. But it did not open to feed...

Last night I've tried to feed him in the tank again - same results. You can see that there are some extention - the polyps are forming a cone like point...

About 2-3 days ago I've moved it from it's original location so that it can get a bit more flow.
    The new spot is exposing it a bit more to the lights...

Here is the Sun-Coral.
    Picasa Web Albums - Nucleus.ZA

Here is the original location (in the cave): (marked with the red circle)
    yes yes - I know that I have a aptaisia problem...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new location:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Feb 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Why not post pics like this ?

[​IMG]

4. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

:whistling: I suppose I was a bit lazy....

And photo bucket is VERY slow! I've tried a couple of times to upload today with no success...:(

Picasa web is EXTREMELY fast, and easy to share!

Is there not a way to link from picasa to masa (the same as photo bucket)?

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

What are you talking about. I just did it for you :p

6. Raven

Raven Thread Starter

Test - image....

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Tony

Tony

Place the coral wherever you can feed it easily. They can be under lights and wont be a problem. You have to feed it regularly about three times a week. What you can do is take some frozen food like brine or mysis shrimp and defrost it in some tank water. Take a 10ml syringe and suck up the water only. ZTurn off your powerheads and squirt some of the water around the coral over the polyps. Leave it for a while to see the reaction. After five minutes if there is no response squirt some more water.

When you see the polyps opening squirt some of the food onto each polyp and each one has to be fed as they are all individual animals. Do this a few times a week and the coral will open during the day and night. You can also feed flake food softened in tank water. Use a stick to keep fish and shrimp away from stealing the corals food

8. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Raven, it is difficult to judge from the photo, but I really feel that it might be in an area with too little flow. If I look at the mushroom bottom left of it, and the aiptasia above it, they seem quite static. I would really suggest moving this SunCoral to another position.

Again, difficult to judge, but looking at where and how your powerhead is directed, I think a great spot would be on top of the rock just above it, in front of the Trumpet Coral.

Thing is, with loo little flow, these corals will not be stimulated to open up and feed. Too much flow however will also make it withdraw, so dont place it right in front of a powerhead.

From the photos it seems that at that stage is was fully "closed" up. Seems to me that sun is really struggling, and you will have to endure and be patient with it. Try and feed it twice a day forn now, just untill it gets it's strength back.

Your sun coral should have a nice fat inflated baloon like look.

This is how they should look just before opening:

[​IMG]

Then, they will start to just show the tips of their tentacles, and this is when you can feed, as much and as often as possible. Note how small the suns are open when this fella fed them:

[​IMG]

9. davidfr7

davidfr7

I agree with Tony. With my two I take a 2l coke bottle and cover them and then squirt. I always wait for them to extend. feed every 2nd night. Flow is also important as this will reduce algae growth on them and you will get good extension. They say you can train them to open while the lights are on. I have got one to do that and the second is still laughing at me. The secret is meaty foods like brine or mysis shrimp, if you do a home mix that is good to. They also come up for seconds. As a newbie I do over feed which push up my PO4. So keep an eye on that. Also with this method alot of food settles to the floor say spray some water in there to kick it up.

Recent Posts