Sumps pre filtering and use of algae.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 12 Jul 2013.

1. pkc

pkc

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

as they say, a picture says a thousand words...

Last edited: 13 Jul 2013
  4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

The triton method works similar

5. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

I haven’t used filtration that weak for over 15 years at least, so there are no pics of that, unless I make some of it and put it up.
    I might, but I hate promoting the use of such weak bio filters they call sumps.
    The description I typed up was for others to adapt the inept sumps that they are advised to use or make and are stuck with these days that are for me, from back in those days.
    This one I made to show our guys how to make a mini version of the type I came up with for these days that enables spot on water all the time with out water changes.
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1326-diy-sump-biological-filtration-for-reef-aquariums
    This is what I made to incorporate all that I have played with over the years; I call it the NWMS-natural waste management system.
    The Algae area or what some would call a refugium.
    [​IMG]

My own design of secondary pre filtering that protects the nitrate reduction areas, varied bio sinks and far more, that I call settling pre filters.
    [​IMG]

This is the over all bio system and the sump-being the water collection point and return pump, which is underneath.
    [​IMG]
    This is what a sump is to me, not the trendy term that was directed a bio filter because a skimmer is supposed to do most of the work.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sump
    A pic of my system commands a million words. It is so very simple, yet if you didn’t come up with it, this thing is extremely complex!
    Do you have a pic of the triton version, the only triton I know is the old amazing triton T8s.

6. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

Wrong words!

7. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

Do you mean this?
    http://www.nanoreefblog.com/triton-lagoon/specifications-and-full-tank-shot-of-the-triton-lagoon

I haven’t seen anything like mine on the net, but that doesn’t mean some out there haven’t come up with it and I would imagine they wouldn’t put it on the net any way as my way has always been shot down, because its results put the purchased sumps in the rubbish bin where they belong.
    I started trying to help others with my bio filters functions in the early 2000s and a fully functional one in 2001.
    You see it’s a waste of time usually as it is to hard to understand and it isn’t just a pick, pay and set up thing.
    With the triton thing, do you mean this-triton is the fist method rubbish,lol,I am sure others were using these natural functions before my idea from the 90s.
    http://www.triton.de/cms/upload/Triton_PDF_T-Methode_EN.pdf
    When nature is fully harnessed “properly” it stabilises and purifies reef aquariums water far better then any thing else, just like the ocean does it.

8. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

I read the triton method, I disagree with their ideas on using algae for nitrates, that way is inafective.
    I rely on affective oxidation to nitrate, and then the atoms of nitrate are separated amongst anoxic zones that I make for removing elemental oxygen leaving nitrogen that inspires expediential growth in algae to import nutrients at a much greater rate due to the nitrogen accelerating its growth and from there any sulphur that is made, also feeds the algae.
    It’s a win, win situation.

9. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

interesting

10. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

how easy is it to move those trays in and out if you have to? do you have to? could you post a video of this build in action.

11. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

as for this

http://
    southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/
    t1892-sump-refiltering-and-the-use-of-
    algae#7675

I have no clue what is going on.... maybe its the few beers I had early on at the braai but if I can see some pictures or a video maybe things will clear up. :)

12. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

No your are not drunk, its just a description on how to improve a commonly used sump, that’s all.
    They were when I supplied three shops in the eighties with the aquariums and bio filters I made that they wanted and they sold them back in the eighties and early 90s, I wouldn’t use those types, except for when I would compete with fish and inverts, which I did for 15 years at the pisciculture section of our RNA show each year!
    I don’t make them like that any more, haven’t for years and stoped making and using skimmers as well.
    The description was for those hobbyists that have those sumps now, to improve its functions to help these people get much better out comes from them.
    For my near complete life time of experimentation with marine life and biological filtration, it was just for me, I have very little on anything I did except my daughters used to capture some things on video and photos, I didn’t!
    Until I saw what was happening on the Internet, after figuring out which button turns on a computer, I wasn’t interested in other reefers and their Hobbys, the ones I had met knew nothing of any benefit to me.
    They were different times.
    If you want instructions on each part of what I typed, ask and I will describe it in more detail, just each part, not all at once.
    That’s all I can offer.

13. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

so from what i can see..you have refugium filled with macro algea, then you have a pre settling filter which i assume is filled with filter wool to collect any detritus and polish water, then you have from what i can see to be a live rock rubble tower?

So the settling pre filter comes first, then the refugium, then the liverock tower?

Last edited: 14 Jul 2013
  14. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

No, first up I have a large barrier of filter wool on the back of my aquarium that catches detritus, it gets cleaned each day and I replaced it maybe once each two weeks.
    I made around 15 of them two years ago and I am still using the same ones.
    This barrier is of egg crate and slides up for easy removal and cleaning in a plastic track, like a sliding window.
    No food or waste is collected by the settling pre filters at all!
    That type of thing gets collected before the algae area.
    You could put the barrier wall any where in any way, it just needs to be cleaned each day unless I go away and then I put in place a clean one that lasts quite a few days.
    This is it.
    [​IMG]

Recent Posts