Sumped!

Reaction score
I was generously given a sump by a work associates husband who no longer uses it. Its been out of use for a few years and needs major cleaning, but otherwise looks good. As far as I know I have no way of using this with my nano, what can i do with it? Thinking of maybe using it towards starting up a bigger tank.
1297491b0d477d022.jpg

Why can't you use it with your nano Kunhardt? put a small powerhead (ie. 500 or 700 l/hour) in the nano's "filtration area" - and another one, slightly bigger in the sump's last compartment.... Place some valves in the piping to assist in balancing the water flow out....

Then you can place a decent skimmer and DSB in the sump...

Just get rid of ALL THOSE curlers and other stuff!

That's one seriously old school sump. First step would be lose the hair curlers and crushed coral or whatever that is (looks like old socks).

Is it possible to remove the "top" part or at least take the "lid" off?

Why can't you use it with your nano Kunhardt? put a small powerhead (ie. 500 or 700 l/hour) in the nano's "filtration area" - and another one, slightly bigger in the sump's last compartment.... Place some valves in the piping to assist in balancing the water flow out....

Then you can place a decent skimmer and DSB in the sump...

Just get rid of ALL THOSE curlers and other stuff!

Trying to "balance" pumps is asking for a wet carpet...

why not convert the trickle box into a refuiguim/ one of the lower chambers to a DSB (after removing a piece of glass here or there) and then have your return chamber...

i have a glass holesaw if you are feeling brave enough to drill the tank....

Lol ya its pretty old, i know for a fact the pet store where he used to get live stock from has been closed for well over 10 years. The top compartment is seperate from the bottom part so that can go yes. I was told by LFS a while back the only way to get a sump onto my tank would be A) for it to be higher than the tank, not sure how possible this is in my current setup and B) to build a small compartment type thingy on the side of my tank for water to flow into and then down to the sump...if u get what i am saying with that.
Les - LFS also said its not really possible to cut holes into a premade tank. Is this true? Lol dont want to have a flood of livestock and water all over the carpet...the missus will kill me :p.

Man it would be awesome if i could get the sump attached to the tank somehow.Above view of sump without top compartment.
1297491b2d7e0c787.jpg

top piece sepetrated.
1297491b2da20b032.jpg

Dude, is that water older than 10 years to???
What sort of dimensions are we looking at here??

Makaeel - he was running copper in the tank, have cleaned it pretty well i hope. How much cleaning we looking at to get rid of the copper? Will it leach out of the silicone?

A question on that copper, he was using it too keep the water perfect in his anemone tank. Doesnt an anemone get affected by copper same as other inverts?

ok kunhard you in a dilema that i had since my tank only came with a side sump not big enough to accomadate a decent skimmer so lets simplify your life....using balancing methods and one pump pumping out and another in is a HUGE NO!!!!lol rather stand in front of a shebeen waving the old SA FLAG if you wanna get hurt....

right so here's what you should do...place a small box in your tank and another outside right at the top....then you have a pipe or two connecting the two boxes with the air drained out...the box outside the tank will have an overflow pipe....er give me a few min and i'll post a sketch,i've been using this solution for three years now because i did not wanna drill my glass and it works fine.

716491c36b5d4c3d.jpg

you should use two by 40mm or 50mm to let the water flow at a better rate,but this obviously depends on the pump you using as a return

Makaeel - he was running copper in the tank, have cleaned it pretty well i hope. How much cleaning we looking at to get rid of the copper? Will it leach out of the silicone?

A question on that copper, he was using it too keep the water perfect in his anemone tank. Doesnt an anemone get affected by copper same as other inverts?
mmmh never heard of Copper and Anenmone's so cant comment.
As long as it is rinsed out properly it will be fine. Remember the blue is just a dye, not the actual medication. I've kept SPS in a tank that had copper (frag tank), and the SPS thrived in that tank (Well that was after washing the tank well).

Finally got around to measuring the sump. Its 70x25x25. Not too big...lol not that i know what a big or small sump size should be.

Falcon, your drawing is exactly what my LFS told me what i would have to do if i ever got a sump, looks complex though for a non-DIY guy like myself :(.

would this system work the same for the tank below? As this is a tank i am wanting to place the sump into now? LFS tells me its fine.
129749229a37eebe7.jpg
716491c36b5d4c3d.jpg

ignore all the stuff in and around it, as this is chris' tank and i am planning on purchasing it from him.

Back
Top Bottom