Sump

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Dawie22, 15 Jul 2011.

1. Dawie22

Dawie22

Hi Guys,

Need some advice on designing a new sump. Have searched for similar threads but just cant find the info Im looking. I have a standard 4 foot system and want to build a new sump. The space I have available in the cabinet is 1m (length) x 0.4 m (width) and 0.5 m (height). I would like to run a DSB and have a reeftek TS2 skimmer. What width should the three compartments be? What height should the panes be so that I maintain the correct water height in the skimmer chamber and ensure the correct flow rate over the DSB? Do i need baffles?

Any help would be appreciated:peroni:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well, you can use a standard 90cm Daro tank. First chamber , just big enough to get the TS2 in, I think 200mm will do it. Last chamber, max 150mm wide. Leaving a DSB of 550.

No bafffles. You already have a space problem, do not enhance that.

Divider heights, first just below the skimmer outlet. If still to low, put the skimmer on a little stand. Second divider 10mm shorter than the first.

4. Dawie22

Dawie22 Thread Starter

Thanks RiaanP!

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Before you fit the first divider, or any dividers. Put your skimmer and return pump in the sump. Work out exactly how much space you need to get the equipment in and out. Keep in mind the limited head height above the sump. Can you get your skimmer out of the sump for maintenance. OK to remove the cup, maybe the pump while in the tank.

6. neo

neo

@RIAAN
    why do you always say the second divider should be 10mm shorter than the first ?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

In case the skimmer pump pulls more water that the return pump pushes out. So that you do not pull water from above the DSB back into the first chamber. Also if you have cheato, you will not end up with pieces of cheato in the skimmer pump inlet. Especially when you switch the return pump off for some maintenance.

Also it will prevent the water entering the DSB acting like a waterfall and then moving the sand just next to the first chamber.

Recent Posts