1. Reefs-R-Us

Reefs-R-Us

I am building a 20 gal long sump for my 38 gal dt. The sump has a a refugium in the middle and on both sides a bubble trap return/overflow feed. I was wondering on what size and type of return pump, As far as a external or internal pump and how many gph.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Most of the guys on MASA is from South Africa. And we use the metric system down here.

20g, how many liters?

Anyway, looks like your dt is double the sump size.

how wide is the sump, front to back, size of refugium part. What flow speed do you want.

As your sump design is different from "standard" 3 part sump design, I doubt if you will get a correct suggestion.

But guess is, it should be about same as with a DSB. So 3 to 5 times your display volume per hour, depending on the width of your sump. Wider, needs bigger pump to have same flow rate compared to a narrow sump.

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

20gal = 75.8lt

5. Anemone

Anemone

A 20g Long is tough to work with. But it can be done. Here is an example: Melevsreef.com - DIY Glass Sump & Refugium

Are you going to have powerheads in the display? What will you keep in the DT?

I'm thinking you should be looking at something like a Mag 5 or comparable for the sump.

6. Reefs-R-Us

Reefs-R-Us Thread Starter

ok sorry about size the dimensions are 76.84x31.75x32.39cm and it is a 79.02 litter sump. i just put in the bubble traps today i can post pics up tomorrow

Recent Posts