Sump with refugium

Ben Young

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
Hi can I do a refugium in sump middle section with live rock or must I make a section for only refugium and one only for live rock.

Thanks

r0ckf1re

Regal Tang
Reaction score
I don't see why you cant. Live rock will just add to your filtration. One of the gurus can confirm.

Ben Young

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
Cool thanks so a three chamber sump with the centre chamber filled with live rock and refugium combo will work then.

Last edited by a moderator:

r0ckf1re

Regal Tang
Reaction score
Cool thanks so a three chamber sump with the centre chamber filled with live rock and refugium combo will work then.
I have a 3 chamber and LR in middle. I don't use it as a refugium as I have a QT tank setup.

r0ckf1re

Regal Tang
Reaction score
I don't think it's really any extra effort. Rather do it now, and have no regrets later on.

Ben Young

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
Thanks just want ensure that I start right from the beginning than cry later

chikaboo

Flame Angel
Reaction score
One usually builds a refugium so that your pods can have a hance to multiply in peace without getting depleted ... In your fuge you will all kinds of life going on without having your fish munching them up ... This setup is nice as you have a constant supply of live food for your tank mates ... Although the ideal situation is to have system that overflows into your tank Nat have them sucked up by a return pump and they will be minced up by the impellors but not all ... hope this makes sense and helps you decide

chikaboo

Flame Angel
Reaction score
All of us :1:think of a refugium as a refugee camp for micro organisms to get a chance to grow without having predators wiping the entire nation out but is ironical as you provide a safe haven for them only to send them to their death in your tank:tt2: