Sump - Water splashing out and Light always has salt on it

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by AllyZone, 23 Dec 2015.

1. AllyZone

AllyZone

Hi Guys...

Ive noticed that my floor and the cupboard the sump is in is constantly wet...

Is there a way to combat this??? Also noticed that my light unit is always full of salt...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. DrewZA

DrewZA

Does your water run into your sump making the splashing, or what else causes it - you could try a filter sock to soften the landing of the water, if that is the case. Otherwise, could be that you are working with a sealed cupboard and the evaporation is leading to the wetness - try some ventilation and see if it dries up. If netiher of those work, check for leaks.

The salt creep probably means the light unit is very close to the water surface - also suggests there is splashing going on - not a hell of a lot you can do about it apart from a weekly wipe down unless you sort the splashing out, or raise the light further from the water.

4. Franna29

Franna29

is the cupboard completely closed? ant do you have lots of micro bubbles in your sump or a air stone, and what is the distance of your light from the sump?

pictures will help as well.

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Depends whts causing it. Is it water splashing out from return pump or skimmer, or is it condensation forming? So either fix splashing or add a fan to the sump to help with air flow.

6. AllyZone

AllyZone Thread Starter

I have the sump in the bottom of the tank... So its basically the front and sides which is a U and slides in...

I have a pipe that flows horizontally and splashs onto the sump water(I thought this will help with Oxygen)... will try and make the water flow straight into the first chamber on the sump and see it that helps...

7. AllyZone

AllyZone Thread Starter

Sump Design

2015-12-23_09-29-14.jpg

8. Apollo

Apollo

Put a 45deg or so angle on the pipe entering the sump. You can also add another straight piece after the elbow so that the discharge is just below the water line. There is more than enough aeration without causing massive splashes.

See pic below for what I have done to help combat excess splashing and salt creep. Blue pipe in the back is from the DT and has a 45deg elbow and short straight piece below the elbow so it discharges just below the water line.I also added some filter floss in a DIY basket to help soften the water landing, whilst at the same time filtering any large particles before the water goes into the skimmer.

[​IMG]

9. Franna29

Franna29

This is a idea that a friend gave me to stop splashing. Over your downpipe put a larger pipe going further down into the water than you downpipe. And you must put a cap on top with a small breather hole and that will reduce the saltspray caused from the water going into your sump making bubbles that when they pop cause saltspray. uploadfromtaptalk1450856374067.jpg

viper357 and Apollo like this.
  10. Apollo

Apollo

Very cool idea Franna :001_cool:

Now why didn't I think of that when doing my sump:rolleyes:

11. AllyZone

AllyZone Thread Starter

So bubbles are a no no... Even on the DT?

12. Apollo

Apollo

Wouldn't think so.
    I have significant surface agitation of the water in my DT. As a result some bubbles are formed, but they are dissipated in the water column and do not "adhere" to the glass , substrate or inhabitants.

13. Franna29

Franna29

Bubbles a no no yes.. the airation your skimmer makes is sufficiant enought that combind with water surfice agitation wil airate your water enough.

Bubblles does not mean airation always.. deep in the ocean there are no bubbles but all the life in there are thriving.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

My concept is what Franna based his design upon.
    My downpipe is 50mm PVC so the bottle trick might work on a 2L bottle. I'm using a 110mm PVC pipe, with female end cap. In end cap I cut a 55mm hole and the downpipe runs into that. Plus a couple of 6mm air outlet hole, same as on a skimmer cup lid. The bottom of the 110mm pipe is cut at a 45 degree angle so that the pipe stands on the bottom of the sump and does not need to be supported. The downpipe does end about 50mm under water level. All bubbles are contained within, plus the resultant salt spray.

Franna29 likes this.
  15. AllyZone

AllyZone Thread Starter

Guys... I put a pipe directly into chamber 1 and no more splashing...

New question : My Hang on skimmer ( Reef Octopus) is making bubbles from the pipe that runs into the tank.... How we combat that?

16. DrewZA

DrewZA

It should have come with a round sponge which is designed to catch and break those bubbles. It should be fitted to the outlet pipe above the bowl the pipe empties into

17. AllyZone

AllyZone Thread Starter

Oh... I got the sponge at the bottom:whistling:

Recent Posts