Sump to big?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dizi, 28 Jul 2016.

1. Dizi

Dizi

Hi Guys

I'm sitting with this situation, I want to start a new tank that will be running on NP biopellets. I have a 800l reef octopus skimmer but the total system volume of the tank is 700l.

DT volume = 490l
    ST volume = 210l

I believe the recommendation is that the skimmer should at least rate 30% more than the volume.

My question thus is do I scale down my sump to get the total system volume to at least 600l in order for the skimmer to keep up? Worth it?
    IMG_1269.jpg SANY0245-1.JPG 20160727_172031.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

I would keep everything as is. With bigger water volume comes stability. You are just starting your tank so hopefully you won't be over stocking it anytime soon

Also remember the live rock, sand displace water aswell

You can use the extra space in the sump for additional live rock or even some macro algae for pods to grow in

Esmond and Vleis Visagie like this.
  4. Dizi

Dizi Thread Starter

Thanks

Didn't think about the displacement :confused1:

Vleis Visagie likes this.
  5. DCSA

DCSA

look forward to seeing this once done.

6. Nico123

Nico123

You can also consider selling your skimmer and upgrading to bigger if it's a concern.

7. SAReefer

SAReefer

A larger sump is good, especially for expandability. If you want to run more mechanical filtration you have the space to do so.

The skimmer you have should be alright, it will process well. Maybe you can consider slowing down your tanks turnover rate to allow the skimmer more time to process the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Dizi

Dizi Thread Starter

:thumbup: Thanks guys

9. Jacojs

Jacojs

@Dizi

I know this is a question about your sump but your concern was your skimmer too right?

I have not done this yet but have looked into it a bit, I might be off but Im sure someone with experience will correct me if I am wrong. Maybe you know this already too?

If you have a pellet reactor you have to plumb the outlet water of the pellet reactor to the skimmer intake, because of this you need a very good skimmer, Im not saying yours is bad at all but from what I understand an overrated skimmer would be better.

Anyone running pellets that can help?

10. SAReefer

SAReefer

Are we talking bio-pellets for nitrate removal? If so, it doesn't need to be plumbed into the skimmer, it can just go directly to the sump water.

The skimmers effectiveness will be based on the amount of proteins entering the water. If there is heavy feeding, carbon dosing, high bio-load then these will impact the skimmer and put additional pressure on it. Also slowing down the turnover flow to the sump can give a skimmer more time to process waste.

The skimmer is almost the most important element in the system. If you have the money then buy bigger, but I would suggest get a bigger sump and save up for a bigger skimmer, the one you have for now should work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jacojs

Jacojs

This is what I have read.

"If you don't have the output going into your skimmer, you have the potential for algea outbreak and/or bacterial booms in your DT. By having it go directly into the skimmer you can drastically (if not completely) eliminate the potential of this issue happening.

Even though corals may benefit from the bacteria/excess "junk" from bio reactor, you can feed corals directly and with more nutricious supplements by feeding them yourself. With the bio reactor running, you have no worries of over feeding because the reactor will take care of the excess. So it becomes a win-win if you run the output directly into skimmer."
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Exactly as stated. There is more than enough excess junk leaving your skimmer already. In my opinion, you will want to remove as much bacteria and byproduct coming from the reactor as possible. Not everything gets skimmed off. Plenty of it will get recirculated anyway.

Also, just like all other forms of carbon dosing. Running BIO-Pellets will introduce a lot of carbon dioxide into your water. You should always make your best effort to reduce this. My increasing ORP numbers seem to be a good indicator that this works well for it.

I would much rather run my skimmer more productive and be able to overfeed and dose stronger."

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited: 30 Sep 2016
Recent Posts