Sump setup

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by HPS, 3 Aug 2016.

1. HPS

HPS

hey all i currently have a bio sump with just the refugium with (live rock, a deep sand bed and some Caulerpa) Other then that just a protein skimmer, filter sock and a return pump. Just wanted to know what else i need to do with my sump to better the filtration.

btw i decided to go with the bio filtration since mechanical filtration (filtration mat, bio balls etc) is said to cause nitrate spikes. *The sump has a light that's on permanently.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. CameL

CameL

What is the reason you want to change the setup?

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Nothing wrong with that setup, I don't see any need to change it if it is working properly. Are you having Nitrate or Phosphate issues? How long has your tank been running?

5. HPS

HPS Thread Starter

The tank has been running bout 9months now and dont have any problems that ive see, some ppl in the hobby and petstore owners keep recomending that i add charcoal and some kind of mechanical filtration and dont realy see the point since this is working atm. But wanted to asc since i dont know if the addition of corals will make a change neccry

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Your protein skimmer and filter sock are your mechanical filtration. If you're not having issues then there is no need to change your system as it currently is. :) Although carbon is something you can run if you want to, just make sure it is Granular Activated Carbon and not normal freshwater carbon. If you want to add corals then you'll just need to monitor your parameters to keep them stable and within the recommended ranges. Things like Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Salinity, Temp.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2016
  7. HPS

HPS Thread Starter

Ok awsm thanks hey, just waiting to get the correct lighting then il jump in and get some corals lol

Recent Posts