SUMP ROOMS

Reaction score
Sump rooms let's talk and bounce thoughts.
The wife has given me the idea to build a sump room in the garage
My thoughts are 3000x1200x2200

Mmm garage is possibly a hazard as fumes etc can transfer into the tank through the skimmer.

Also garages are less insulated so tend to fluctuate more in temp. Not impossible to use a garage but some thought needs to go into it

Going to build a room in the garage.
On the back of the wall that the other side of the tank.

I'm using part of my garage.
Ceiling got those silver insulation up high against the tiles.
The part I'm using is partition off the rest with shutter board. It does have about 100mm gap on floor level so if I need to sweep or wash out the place it is easy. On top of the rafters are more shutter board making a roof room. All the camping stuff, Christmas tree and things you use once in a blue moon are up there. So the room is rather closed up.

As far as fumes, all paint tins are properly closed and all other chemicals as they should. No problem in that regards. Temperature fluctuations, Not really a problem, humidity is more. I would benefit from the room not being to insulated actually.

The space I used is almost one side of a double garage, So it works out to 5m by 2m wide. The space under the roll up door got steel racks accessible from outside, when you open the garage doors. All the paint stuff, garden, and other what not items you might need once a month is stored there. Directly behind the steel racks is the shutter board wall.

As for space to store all the fish related items you do gather, yes for a sump room. Water changes I do from there. No water spilling inside the house.

Some pics when I set up the room

fishroom01-jpg.jpg

fishroom02-jpg.jpg

The garage doors are in from of the last picture. Steel racks directly behind that far wall. Contents on the racks are accessible from outside.

Can see the short legs the walls stand on at floor level.

What is the goal with your sump room? Extra volume in the tank? Are there any equipment you want to run that you can't run with sump as it is currently? If you have a specific goal with regards to building a sump room, it will make sense. But to build a sump room just because you can might end up costing a lot of money (for the building, extra heating/cooling, extra pumps etc.) with only slight benefit to your tank.

I'd really like to increase the the filtration size and quality on my tank.
Also to have the convenience of easier working environment.
The cost to build the room I dont think is going to be hectic. From what I've worked out it's around R1500 - R2000. The one big potential cost is maybe the plumbing. But like all of us we all have load of connectors and bits. Just the pipe I'd need.
My current skimmer has been modded to run internal but can come out and be external.

Plus if the wife is for it dont ask twice.
But mainly for quality of tank and my experience.,
Oh and keep her house clean when in playing in the sump area..

Sorry I know it's not to scale, it's just the concept

20180709_113639.jpg

I have my sump in the garage and its not enclosed. I am not too worried about fumes as i dont leave the cars idling in there and i also dont do painting etc in there. A big advantage is the raised sump which makes working in it a lot easier, mess is contained to garage and the noise levels inside the house is less.

Only problem I see with your design is if you do pull in a car, not to bang the tank with the car door.

Your RO unit, with a much bigger tank can also be in the garage. Plus a point as to where to flush old water when doing those water changes we hate. I'm using a 6m flexible hose to the drain outside.

If you keep gravity in mind you can move all your water using only one return pump.

Only problem I see with your design is if you do pull in a car, not to bang the tank with the car door.

Your RO unit, with a much bigger tank can also be in the garage. Plus a point as to where to flush old water when doing those water changes we hate. I'm using a 6m flexible hose to the drain outside.

If you keep gravity in mind you can move all your water using only one return pump.

Banning the car door wont happen.
Double garage and one car. Plus the sump and flow bin will be inside an enclosed room. Probably build the room out of drywalling and seal it inside.

Yes gravity feed the WC water direct out the garage door into the storm drain.no issue with this as that's what happens now anyway.

Looking at this as a good couple months project. Not a 1 month done and dusted job.

Just make sure everything is easily accessible and it should be ok. My issue with my big sump area behind massive tank was the mission to work on a lot of the parts in the sump area.

Taken that into account. I can go wider than 1200 if I want. But the work bench is 550 wide so figured 600 extra would be plenty for me to move around.
And drywall boards come standard at 1200 wide

Back
Top Bottom