Sump room - WIFES Idea

Reaction score
So the wife has given me the idea of building a sump room. Lucky me.hahahah.
Now to try make it happen.
Looking at building a room in the garage on the backside of my tank.

Looking into a drywall build.
Size 3000Lx1200Wx2200H
My idea is to run everything from there.
2m Sump with skimmer and maybe nennie chamber.
Refugium
And adding a 1000L flow bin LR into the setup.

Water mixing drum and RO.

Cool way to to monitor and increase the tank the volume.

So on my journey if I can pull this off.
If anyone has any donations or help with drywall and framing I'd greatly appreciate it. It would help to making thos happen.

Cheers

Last edited:
Unfortunately the 3m length will not fit all of that. The flobin is 1.1x1.2 about with the metal cage on. And then a 2m sump is already over 3m.

Its very nice to have the sump separate as it reduces the noise of the setup dramatically.

I have plenty room to play I can go to 3.2m room
Or drop down to 1.8m sump.
At this point its concept. So tewwks will be made.

My tanks overflow side is against the garage wall.
Wendy house would be way to expensive.
Besides I'm really into my diy stuff. So want a cool project..

Have a double garage with only 1 vehicle.
Dont want to tape the garage space. 1200 I plenty space to fit all and be able to move around the room.
That I'm pretty sure about.

I am too . Dry walling is such a pest to work with , for me anyhow . Seeing as it’s indoors it makes things easier . Something to consider is that spaces like your garage gets quite dusty and there’s usually lots of airflow so that could lead to temp drops at night . If you do put up dry walling then perhaps put in a false ceiling with see-through plastic or similar . Keeping the ceiling low-ish should also help with loss of temperature through your sump . I’ve seen guys use sheets of styrofoam on the water surface to try and curb evaporation and regulate temperature ...

Hope these few thoughts get you thinking

Have a double garage with only 1 vehicle.
Dont want to tape the garage space. 1200 I plenty space to fit all and be able to move around the room.
That I'm pretty sure about.
But do you really need to park that car in the garage?:m06: could always just use the double garage as a sump room

Yes it will be enclosed.
Built to the wall.
One side, front and back and top
With a door on one side.
Will do drawing of what's in my head

You gonna be the first person to say you'll sponsor donate drywalling.hahah

im on the opposite side of the scale. If you look at what glennf achieved with his setup and you look at his tank he barely runs a sump. Just a area for water to flow through so the skimmer is out of site. For me its all fancy and cool to have a sump room but is it really worth it to add so many liters of water to a system. In todays day and age if you look at cost etc for electricity for me personally i dont think its worth it to go so fancy. if your tank runs well at the moment why change it?

Hear you 100% but when has it ever been a bad idea to add more natural filtration.
The main aim of this to add the 1000L flow bin with LR and then to make life easier with working on the tank.
Being able to do 250-300L WC with out Peeing of the wife.hahaha.
I've considered some things like with temp.
The flow bin will insulated. Have an idea of rapping like underfelt around the flow bin.

From all you ever read. Volume = stability.

Still if the tank is stable its stable. Adding more water is not going to make it more stable. Its just going to increase cost to run the tank. If it was me and the wife was moaning.....just move the sump as it is to the garage. can still do the waterchange....can still do maintance. And the wife is out of your hair.

Instead of drywall, rather use shutterply. It is in your garage, so why not. You can drive nails into is for extra hooks etc. So on the "garage" side you can hang tools and other things that would be too heavy to hang on a drywall.

Have the bottom end stand in a "U" shape channel. That you lift off the floor by at least 100mm. Actually start at the top, the shutterply board should be just to short to stand upright and reach the rafters. But if you lift it a bit, you can nail, stapplegun or screw it into the rafter. Makes designing how to fasten the top easier. That bit you lift it would create a bit of a gap at the bottom. Have short 19mm square tubing feet or stands support that "U" channel.

The advantage. You can wash out the fishroom, just take the hosepipe in there and sweep the floor. Make provision that everything is sort of lifted so you can wash that salt layer that will form over time just out. You will flood and this is an easy way to clean everything.

Ensure that all the powerpoints are above the tanks and equipment. No cables on the floor, nowhere. All Multiplugs lifted and mounted to the wall.

When you do your layout, make sure two people can get past another without pulling in stomachs. My fishroom is 2m wide and at a point the layout was like a galley with tanks down both sides. That left a passage of 800mm in the middle. That was just enough to irritate me after a couple of months. Especially if you got a bucket or what not in your hands and need to get past the other person also holding something.

Have a open worktop available. At least 1m wide. With enough shelving to prevent your worktop to become a storage space. Place to do bucket transfer etc. If you can get hold of an old scratched TL550, get it as a holding system. Even a 60cm Daro tank might work. But that old TL550 or TL450 are great as they got all you need to house fish for a month after you done the bucket transfer. You can also connect your RO drum up with extra ATU to top up the holding system.

Have proper lights in there. So you can see what you are doing. I got two T5 double tube units.

Having that flowbin in there would / could be a problem in future. If you change your mind one day and need to get it out, you might need to break down a drywall. Just keep that in mind. I'm using 3 of those 220L drums. One for RO, the other two are connected to my system. The one is filled with liverock, the other is just water. This last drum, I can shut a ball valve feeding it, isolating it from the system. At the bottom drain, another ball valve can drain this 220L drum. Actually I drain my holding tank and refill that with water first from this drum. The leftovers I can drain to outside. Then I fill up this drum again with RO. Add salt and let it mixed. When ready I just have to open the top ball valve again and it is part of my system. 220L water changed done. Without carrying a single drum. I do have a single heater and old Seio powerhead in that drum to get the water temp up and to help dissolving the salt before I open the ball valve. I just need to remember to plug them out when I drain the tank. OK, these drums do hold far less than a 1000L flowbin, but the advantage is that they are not that bulky.

Just realized that your planned sumproom is a quarter of the size than mine.

And with a flowbin in there that would take up a third of the space already. Leaving a 2m square. 2m sump on the one side and you got 2m by 1.5m left. Door / doorway, At least 1m square space just to move and turn around in. So you got a 1 by 1.5m space left for the water mixing and RO drums, and you are getting a bit cramped. Unless you plan on having certain things above other things, making use of the vertical space.

Do you know Google SketchUp?

Back
Top Bottom