Sump/refugium setup

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Fishcrazy, 16 Jan 2015.

1. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

I just have a few questions regarding my sump/refugium

I have a three Chamber sump design.

• In the first chamber I have my inlet pipe and skimmer, bio balls, ceramic rings, sponges and filter floss.

• My second chamber serves as my refugium with a DSB, some coral pieces and a piece of live rock. The inlet of my carbon/phosphate/nitrate reactor is also in this chamber.

• In the third chamber is my return pump with more filter floss and sponges. The outlet of the carbon/phosphate/nitrate reactor is also in this chamber

The heater is between the baffles of the second and third chamber

I had algea (Caulerpa) in the second chamber but it didn’t grow much and died. I would like to grow pods for fish food. I assume the design and setup is correct, because someone did it for me.

My question is: with the filter floss and sponges in the last chamber won’t it catch all the pods and preventing them from moving to the main tank?

Second question: I want to install two CPU fans in the sump, must it hang over the refugium section? Or must it be even out and hang over the whole sump area.

Sump.JPG

IMG_20141106_220815.jpg

IMG_20141106_220835.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

In case you didn't know bio balls, ceramic rings an filter floss need to be cleaned regularly. Other wise they become a nutrient trap.

What light did you have over the caulerpa.

What's the surface area if your tank? In order for a dsb to be effective it needs to be at least 50% of the surface area of your tank.

4. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

@TaahirS the main tank is 91 x 32cm. The DSB is only in the refugium. It is about 30 x 30 x 5cm.

I used a normal 60W daylight bulb over the algae. I bought the tank over from someone else. The guy said that he had very good algea growth under those bulbs.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Reaper

Reaper

As far as I know, a 5cm deep dsb isn't deep enough.

6. Reaper

Reaper

And yes, your filter wool will stop most of the pods from circulating to the dt

TaahirS likes this.
  7. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

I just got home and measured it. It's about 8cm deep.

So must I take out all the filterwool or only the wool in the 3rd chamber (outlet)? And the filter pads?

8. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy Thread Starter

Update!!

I've done some changes to the sump. I took out the bio balls and added more ceramic rings in the first chamber. Washed out all the filter wool and pads and packed everything back. Also took out some of the dirty water.

I left the second chamber (refugium) as is with DSB, one piece of LR. I removed all the filter wool and pads out of the last chamber where the return pump is.

Lastly I've installed the 2 CPU fans over the sump.

How does it look? Now I hope to grow some pods...... I really want to by a Dragonet. :)

Changes to sump.jpg

Fans over sump.jpg

Recent Posts