Sump question

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Alias, 22 Mar 2011.

1. Alias

Alias

So its a normal 3 chamber sump but has a gap between the bottom and the divider between the return chamber and dsb chamber. how is the dsb meant to be setup in there? just put it in?

here are some pics to help explain the problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Alias, sorry bud but thats not gonna work......the last chamber (return) needs to be sealed at the bottom.

Water flows from intake chamber , slowly over DSB , into return and back to tank.

IMHO , easiest is to strip out that piece of glass, clean inside from old silicone and re silicone the way its meant to be ...

The height difference that has worked the best for me between first and second deviders has always been 1 - 2 cm..so just measure if all is well beforehand

4. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

ah damn.. ok then im confused with this sump then. i bought it from my LFS and they said it was good to go?

so now which chamber is which? return on the right and skimmer on the left?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mupwi

mupwi

I would say the chamber wasent used for a dsb before maby just as a refuge or for lr or a bafel has been removed that came before it

6. robertkukla

robertkukla

make the baffel on the left the same as the one on the right, so your water flows over both baffels, remember to keep enough space in you inlet chamber for a skimmer and a return pump in the outlet chamber, remember you dsb must be 15cm deep

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I will cut out both the dividers.

Reasons
    skimmer chamber on the left. Divider must be sealed at the bottom. You could reuse that same panel, but it seems a bit high. What skimmer do you have, and what is the max depth the skimmer can stand in, before you drown it. You mush space do you have above the skimmer? Maybe have that same panel cut down to the max height skimmer can take.

Second chamber, is your DSB.

Chamber on the right, return. But the divider could be a lot higher. Maximum 10mm lower than the first chamber. It will allow for more water in total system.

But make sure, calculate first how much water will drain extra into your sump area when the power goes out. Sump should be able to hold that extra. And no problem if that extra goes over all the chambers.

Deeper return also allow more water evaporation before your return pump runs dry. But get an auto top up. Then keep the level in return as high as possible, keeping extra overflow water in mind. That will reduce the number of bubbles so your return pump do not push micro bubbles back to display.

DSB, should be 150mm deep. More water above DSB is another plus for keeping cheato.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

no, they should differ by at least 5 to 10mm. 10mm is better.

Reason, if your skimmer feed pump is stronger that the return pump, or return pump is switched off, then your skimmer can pull water back from above the DSB. Not a problem, only if you have cheato. Then you end up with small pieces clogging the skimmer pump. Been there, done that. Must still fix it.

9. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

dam, should've wait 20 min so i could see your post riaanp, i already cut out and resealed that one divider. here are some measurements.

the divider into the return chamber is 180mm and the skimmer chamber is 280mm high. thats quite a big difference, it also means that if i have 150mm DSB then that only leaves 30mm - 35mm water hight over the DSB. is this going to be enough?

I have a BOYU WG308 skimmer, the box doesnt have those values you are asking for. :(

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Sorry Alias, Got home late.

anyway, put the skimmer in a deep bucket. and run it. Check when the outlet is so deep under water, so that the neck fills up too high and it starts to skim too wet.

also, first things first. What is the total water that your sump must be able to held in case power goes out? Your siphon break should work immediatly. So you can calculate it with tank width in cm * length in cm * 0.5cm / 1000. That should be the liters.

Then your sump, previous answer *1000 / (sump width * length in cm)
    That should be about the extra height your water level will rise in your sump when Eiskom plunge you into darkness.

11. Alias

Alias Thread Starter

display tank comes to 0.9L

Sump comes to 0.5L.

Shouldnt be a problem?

here is the skimmer installed as suggested by the manufacturer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the poor quality pics. used my phone.

they have an arm which is used to pump over a ledge, figure i could run a little pipe into the 2nd chamber? or should the skimmer sit lower in the tank?

NOTE: pipe in picture is not what i will use if this is a solution, purely for demonstration.

Recent Posts