sump overflow/syphon idea

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by brettb2020, 5 Feb 2009.

1. brettb2020

brettb2020

just thought of an idea, maybe its been done before and used all the time, and maybe it wont work or wont last.

instead of having the whole overflow system or drilling your tank. you could just have a pipe syphoning straight from the bottom of the display tank to the sump but in the sump you have a float valve like in a toilet :biggrin: nowadays those float valve are tiny!!! gone those days where they had a long arm with a big ball.

things that may cause that to fail though would be: matter getting stuck in the valve or it might restrict flow to much. but i dont know:) just thought id bring it up:whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

OK if you have a power cut the ball valve will stop the overflow, thats fine.

You have matter blocking it, pump carries on pumping either running dry or overflowing your display,
    ball valve fails, sump overflows and emties tank to the pipe level.

4. goodisor

goodisor

Possibly the system would work, its what the mechanics are made of that present the problem.Flow is an issue,one cant have restriction,but what are these valves made of,brass,stainless,...whatever it is,it just wont last in the salt and so will fail.Failure ends up with water everywhere and a bunch of dead stuff usually.....:p

5. brettb2020

brettb2020 Thread Starter

was just an idea:) lol was looking at the one in my toilet lol. the whole thing is plastic. i wanna try it on a tiny lil sump and see what happens. cos i mean the chances if it failing and for example, the syphon/overflow system stopping could be the same.

i first wanna see what flow rate is like before i do anyhting:)

Recent Posts