Sump & overflow for standard 250ltr Tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by vatso, 27 Dec 2009.

1. vatso

vatso

Hello All

How can I get water out the tank into a small sump? just want to put sand bed & fan in it? can I not just pump water out & back in?

Pictures please for me thanks

also I can't drill the tank as I am running it now

thanks
    Mark

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

No, it's virtually impossible to balance the water flow this way, and you will either flood the sump or the main tank.

Then you only have two options, either use a siphon overflow, or place your sump at a level higher than your tank, and drill the sump. You can then pump water to the sump, and use gravity to feed the water back to the main tank.

Please consider that, if your tank is reasonably young, it may well be the best long-term option to bite the bullet at this stage, and empty the tank and have it drilled now, before the whole tank is established with prized corals and expensive fish. It's painful, but a lot less painful than having to do it in a year or two's time, when you become convinced that all the other options really don't work that well...

Hennie

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well, if you cannot drill your tank and you do not want to drain it. Look at this. It can easily handle 2000L/h return pump if you use 50mm pipe. Bigger return pumps, just T-piece first bend inside tank, and put two standpipes. 50mm pipe itself can easily handle upto 6000l/h but the overflow into the pipe cannot.

http://www.guarriello.net/overflow.htm

Balancing pumps will never work.

Happy you decided to look into sumps. As this is really needed in a marine tank.

5. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

I still can get my head around how they restart if there is a power problems!

they seem to also look very ugly.

Who is near the midrand area with one of these things?

thanks

Mark

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Mine works like this, in a temp setup. the airline check valve on my setup is connected to the venturi intake of a powerhead. So Power comes back on, powerhead sucks syphon air out, system starts up. No problem.

But you will find that the syphon does not break on a power outage.

Just note, depending on the water flow speed, and the height of the T piece outside and the depth of the tank combined, can and will suck small air bubbles down the inlet pipe, and it will accumulate over time in the highest point. So you have to check and test it every week until you feel comfortable with it. Mine is 95%. Only issue I hade recently is something big blocked my syphon pipe. So you should use a 6mm clear piece where it is not in direct light from your sunshine units, and use 6mm black pipe where algae can grow inside the check pipe.

7. Reef Maniac

Overflow siphons does work reasonably well, and one can design them to maintain siphon when the power goes out, and to re-start automatically when the power goes on. Just keep in mind, however, that there are only two types of siphon overflows:

1. Those that have caused flooding of the house and draining of the tank, and

2. Those that will still cause flooding of the house and draining of the tank.

Ask yourself: Is it really worth it, spending all the money you do on lights, pumps, live rock, sand, corals and fishes, to skimp on something with such potential disastrous consequences as having the siphon fail? If your siphon fails and you're not close by, you will likely lose all (or most) of your live stock, and most likely burn out your return pump, power heads and heaters as well $$$$ :( not to mention the precious life lost... then there's also the risk of causing an electrical short, and possibly burning down your house as well.

Hennie

8. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

Hennie you make a great point I think I need to first get into the hobby & learn all the mistakes now! & then build the tank type I want!

all i need to do is get my head around how all this works!

new tank & sump later! first get the right lighting half way sort of there & a skimmer!

Mark

9. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Best bet is to drain the tank now in its early stages for sure and make provisions for the holes to be drilled , promise you won't be sorry.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

forgot to mention, I use 6mm garden black micro irrigation pipe.

11. Reef Maniac

I prefer to learn from other people's mistakes, and not my own - it's MUCH cheaper and less stressful that way, and does not kill innocent life forms in my tank :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Use MASA's search function. A search for "siphon" brought up the following recent threads, amongst others...

Check Siphon Breaks - Pumps and Waterflow

Diy overflow box diagram - help needed - Anything DIY Related

simple high-flow diy overflow - Anything DIY Related

Diy overflow - Anything DIY Related

Display tank Overflow - New Members

Hennie

12. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

thanks for the info Hennie

I now understand how it all works :)

Recent Posts