Sump or not sump?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Ant, 19 Jun 2010.

1. Ant

Ant

Our 540lt tank has got space on the one side where compartments are where we can put in the protein skimmer etc.

Is it needed to have a sump compartment underneath your tank, or can we use it in the tank where the compartment is?

Which is better?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adee

Adee

It depends on the filtration system you using vs what you intend to keep. Ideally your sump footprint should at least be same at your display...I doubt very much the in sump idea would work well (I know FW guys use it a lot).

Typical biological filtration would include a DSB, Live rock, refuige for macro algae and maybe an algae scrubber. U could skimp on the need to cater for space for these and use mechanical filtration with the likes of a Nitrate reducing reactor...and if you really want to get to the other end of spectrum of reefkeeping you could go the zeolite reactor route with bacteria dosing and carbon source dosing...all of which don't make use common filtration mediums.

4. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

up to you dude but in my opinion, a sump is a very useful piece of kit to have, a DSB is the best and most natural way of dealing with nitrates and lost of crazy critters can make their cozy little homes :p

5. Evo R

Evo R

Plus a sump ads to your total water volume.
    More water = more stable water parameters and gives you a little bit more time if something goes wrong!

Just my 2C's

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

sump can help control water level in dsb.

Recent Posts