Sump oh sump

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by blade6654, 24 Apr 2012.

1. blade6654

blade6654

Hi all i need some advice im ready to start up my tank but now im worried my sump setup isn't correct. did a quick drawing of my sump and need some advice broke the chambers down into a, b, c, d,
    A is my water coming into my sump from the display
    B a small chamber where i plan to put some rock
    C my deep sand bed of 15cm thick
    D my return pump and my protein skimmer with the protein skimmer return feeding back to compartment a the reason for doing this is that compartment A is to small to house my protein skimmer.

Would this work or not i want to start up my tank but im worried about the setup

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. blade6654

blade6654 Thread Starter

[​IMG]

4. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira

I would suggest remove the glass between compartment a and b, see of the skimmer will fit. If not opt for a external skimmer with an np reactor feeding it from compartment a, a filter sox is some maintenance but well worth while. Compartment D only needs to be big enough for the return pump so compartment C is as big as possible.

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

[​IMG]
    BASIC Sump Design - Illustrated - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Mechanical, biological, chemical....

so, skimmer, dsb or refugium or NP reactor, then charcoal and other filter media reactors.

Drop chamber B to make the DSB bigger. Return chamber must be big enough to handle at least a weekends evaporation without running the pump dry. Making the dividers taller would make that evaporation space bigger. But must still be able to fit the skimmer in. and it should run without drowning it. The skimmer outlet must be above the sump water level. If not, then put skimmer on some stand of sorts. Also confirm the space needed above the skimmer to be able to remove the cup.

Second divider should be 10mm lower than the first. To prevent back flow from DSB / Refugium into the skimmer chamber.

Last chamber water level should run high. To allow for max evaporation buffer. But not too high, to allow for excess water coming down from the display when the power goes out. If the water falls down to far in the return chamber it will pull down bubbles that will be picked up by the return pump.

If you can fit in an ATU chamber, then do it. But it does not need to be under the tank, only accessible.

Recent Posts