Sump Maintenance

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by VicZA, 30 Dec 2013.

1. VicZA

VicZA

what maintenance do you do on your sump? I am not talking about the equipment in your sump (skimmer, socks, etc) but rather the sump itself. Do you clean the glass from time to time or anything like that ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

for viewing pleasure, I do clean the front panel of my remote DSB / refugium.

My main DSB do not run with any lights, so no algae growth. Here I just let it be. At times I do siphon the sand of detritus if needed. Done that twice this year.

Other than that, I do nothing in or around the sumps.

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

its easier to do the water changes from the sump. drain enough water from the sump. clean the bottom from detritus collected scrape the glass as much as possible and refill with your newly mixed water (or NSW)
    i prefer this method because it doesn't disturb the main tank and besides the sump can get really dirty and needs to be cleaned regularly imo.
    one of the important things to note is that the new water that you gonna add in must be the same temperature and salinity ans the water in the DT or it can cause stress on the fish and corals if the water you are adding is colder let say

Recent Posts