Sump lighting clarification please?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by gavster, 6 Jun 2011.

1. gavster

gavster

Hey guys

Another question for all of you. I know that sump lighting is good for PH stability, but HOW does this work? Do you have to have anything other than a DSB in there for it to work? Rock? What is the light working on or growing other than the obvious - algae?

Also, how much and what type of light would be good for a 3-4 foot sump? Cheapest long term option please.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

The macro algae you add to the sump helps with pH stability IF you run it on a reverse light cycle to youer DT. During photosyntheis, plants convert carbon dioxide into energy.When no light is present (ie. at night), the plants repire and the opposite happens - carbon dioxide is produced. Carbon dioxide dissovles in water produing a weak acid and thus lowers your pH. All photosythetic organisms do this so if you run your sump lights at night, the algae will use up the carbon dioxide being produced in your tank and stabilize the tanks pH.
    Youll need to add macro algae to your sump (either cheato or caulpera). Dont add too much at once, rathert let it grow at its own rate depending on how high yuor tanks nutrients are. Ussually you place the macro algae above the DSB in a way that it wont obstruct the flow of water over the DSB.
    Lighting wise - you want low K bulbs that promote growth. You can use standard down lights or CFL bulbs as well. On my three foot sump i have a 18w (i think) cfl and the caulerpa grows like mad. Think the bulb cost R20 and i use a desktop lampo as the fitting (got that for under R100).

4. Meneer

Meneer

Nice Explanation David....

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

459b summed it up nicely.

No light needed if there is no macro algae. Run in reverse cycle.

Light can be a CFL, 18 to 23 W. Either warm white or cool white.

6. gavster

gavster Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. Ok as suspected its not just sand and or rock in there. The light is pointless unless I add caulpera or chaeto right? One more silly question... Will this process with the macro algae avoid the big algae bloom in my DT during/after cycling? I read somewhere earlier that someone had it so bad that they had to replace all their substrate because it stayed discoloured after. I'm dreading this and once I set up, don't want to fiddle again except for the standard upkeep.

7. gavster

gavster Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan and sorry I wasn't ignoring you, we just posted at the same time! :thumbup:

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Its Cool

Not prevent it, but will help in keeping in controllable. due to it competing for the same food source.

9. gavster

gavster Thread Starter

Thanks and final question.... Is there anything else I can do to reduce or avoid the bloom?

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

the bloom isnt that bad. Weve all been through it at some point so dont stress too much about it. You can add bacteria (Special Blend, Stability, etc) to speed up cycling going but be careful about overdosing things. Just keep reading and remember to be patient. Keep us updated on how things are going and we'll let you know what to do next should you get concerned about something.
    And dont hesitate to ask about anything.

11. gavster

gavster Thread Starter

Ok great, thanks again Dave. Don't worry I will most definitely be bugging all of you quite frequently!: My tank and cabinet is still being built and should be a beauty and be here in a couple of weeks. I'm just reading like CRAZY at this stage and buying all the testers and additives while I wait. Just trying to avoid any mishaps.

12. Tony

Tony

I dont run a light. I just have a light there for when I work in the sump but then I dont run a DSB, ATS or macroalgae

13. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Can I ask a question too, during a bloom is it wise to remove the algae we can get too, or do we just let the cycle go full course?

14. jonno

jonno

another question, would not running any display tank lights during cycling have any negative effects or help with the algae bloom perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jun 2011
  15. gavster

gavster Thread Starter

Now Tony that's just not fair. Giving us those little teasers without explaining yourself :

As far as I understand its good not to use lights if yoy are cycling with live rock. Obviously NOT good if you already have some corals and in fact the corals will love the free floating algae if you scrape your glass once a week or so. There's nothing wrong with cleaning what you can see.

Hey maybe I'll get some Rep if I keep going like this! Haha...

Recent Posts