Sump Level Changing

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by MistaOrange, 16 Jun 2010.

1. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I've bee running my tanks for almost 4yrs now & this has been boggling my mind for some time now where my sumps level changes in the evening. Sometimes I find my sumps level either higher or lower & it's been a mind boggle since I started these tanks. Tonight I was by a fellow reefer & the same thing happened & both of us were dumbstruck with this level change. I'm positive that this action has something to do with the gravity pull & the moon as like with the tides but I'm not sure what could cause this sudden change.

Has this level change ever happen to any of you?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brettb2020

brettb2020

lol your system is tidal! no ways! how big is your system? how big our the changes? this is interesting.. iv never experienced it.. my system is tiny though

4. seank

seank

Could be your pumps pumping faster/slower, cause of using more/less electricity at night time?????? Dunno too much about constant power of pumps- but just a thought

5. MistaOrange

MistaOrange Thread Starter

The system in total including the sump is about 300L, tonight the level raised about 3cm & DT lowered 3cm. Confusing it is & have recently changed the return pump & still this happens.

6. MistaOrange

I have no clue but this happens often

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

If the DT drops 3cm then the water won't circulate anymore - 30mm is a lot! Most systems I had the water only rises like 5-10mm above the overflow glass, depending on the return pump speed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Michael - could it perhaps be that the skimmer is more efficient during the evenings (I have found that with mine, for some strange reason), meaning that the skimmer removes more water from my tanks, during the evening, than during the day. You can also perhaps see it as that the skimmer perhaps skims more wet during the evenings?

During the daytime, the topup then supplies more freshwater, to make up for the water lost during the night?

Have you monitored your salinity between daytime and night time (ie. very early in the morning, compared to late afternoon when you get home perhaps?)

9. Adee

Adee

are u running any filter media that would restrict flow?

10. maj

maj

never heard of this yet,but maybe it could be the late nite drinks causing you to see things:p

11. JD167

JD167

Like Jacques said, the water level in the skimmer will affect the water level elsewhere. If it's the skimmer, chances are you will notice the water level change in the sump. If you see the change in the DT then it could be overflow/return pump. IMO...

12. MistaOrange

I'm able to adjust the flow rate from the dt over flow to sump I have the dt water level set 2 1/2cm above the over flow entry as the over flow is a diy mc gyver but has worked with no problems. Now sometimes the water level drops in dt aprox 3cm & sump water level increases aprox 3cm why I don't know. Who knows maybe there could be a power dip causing the return pump to run slower I'm not too convinced with that though as a power dip happens in seconds not hours.

Jacques yes my in sump skimmer does skim more in the evenings but that shouldn't affect the sudden rise in the sump right? I'm not worried just curious why & what could be causing this action. strange hey

13. KATHIE

KATHIE

Howzit bud. I had the same issue yesterday after adjusting the overflow pipe that goes in the tank. After carefully looking at everything. I found the problem. The whole on the durso was too small(3.5mm). Hence it was choking with a 5000L pump. I increased the hole to 4.5mm and all sorted.

14. MistaOrange

Great, my solution was I bought an overflow then all was sorted...

15. pkc

pkc

Lol,lol,that's funny!

Recent Posts