Sump Ideas

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

When I move over to the new tank I will have a smallish sump room which is behind the tank, it's a bit of an odd shape but I will have to make the best of it....

I have got 4 tanks lying around that I want to use as sumps - they are

1100x50x50
1150x55x55
600x450x450
900x320x320

Can you please help me with ideas of how to best use these tanks, I am also a bit confused as to how I will set them all up,

I will get a stand built for the 2 larger tanks so one can be above the other and the 3ft is also on it's own stand....

ok use the biggest one as your dsb , keep one as a quarantine tank ....

Hmmm never thought of a QT tank - I also gotta think of where the "Punisher" is gonna live - is a dsb of 1150x20x55 not a bit too big - man that's alot of sand?

Here's what I would do.

1100 which has nothing but a tumbling ball of chaeto, overflowing into the 900 tank full of 15cm DSB overflowing into the 1150 which will be your refugium with another 10cm DSB and a couple of rocks and plants, maybe mangroves and other macro algaes to grow your critter population, overflowing into the 600 which houses your return pumps and heaters etc.

Ok this may sound nuts but I have had a look and I would have to go through the expence and pain to get a stand to hold these 2 big tanks and I have my current tank and stand with the 1100x50x50 so was thinking why not just use my current tank and sump as the new sump (would probably work out cheaper and be better for the system)? ?

Thing is how would I do it? the tank has a C2C but I'm sure I can change it if need be....

Sims you can use your current tank as a sump, no problem and you don't need to modify your C2C either. It will work as a 2 teir sump with the top being a DSB/Cheato fuge and the bottom being your mechanical sump ;)

Ok cool so you saying that from tank's C2C into top sump (current tank) then overflow to bottom sump where i have 3 compartments - what should they be? and where must my skimmer feed pump be placed - I would think from the top tank not after the dsb?

Back
Top Bottom