sump help

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Nemo84, 14 Mar 2013.

1. Nemo84

Nemo84

Hey masa
    How does one calculate the size of your sump ?
    My tank size will be 1500 x 750 x 700
    And how does your protein skimmer play. Part in your sump

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

as big as possible.

for all the goodies you want.

First, what filtration do you want to use? DSB, Orca Cubes, NP Pellets, 19 different reactors?
    Add this information to get a proper answer

4. Nemo84

Nemo84 Thread Starter

I'm still gathering info and researching as much as I can so I'm still uncertain which way to go

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

For DSB, need as big a sump as possible, big centre chamber. Pro - Cheap Con - takes time and must be set up with enough flow

Orca Cubes, smaller sump. Pro, works within 2 weeks. Con, much more expensive than sand.

NP-Pellets, Pro works quicker than DSB but slower than Orca, Con, needs extra reactor and pellets.

Basically it comes down to your personal preference. I like a DSB. For other reasons as well.

6. Nemo84

Nemo84 Thread Starter

A mate of mine is also busy setting up his tank and he has ordered liverock that he said he's putting in the sump as well
    I was told that for a dsb you need to have a goby inside it to keep moving the snd around

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

WHAT!!!

You need nothing that will eat the the critters that makes the DSB alive. Bacteria, worms, copepods, amphipods... No predators must be on or in the DSB

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

who ever told you that must sign on to MASA and come to learn. Or use Google before giving out "advise" like that.

Also liverock is expensive. Why buy it then hide it in your sump? Plus it does give a lot less surface area for bacteria to live on than sand.

9. Nemo84

Nemo84 Thread Starter

Good thing I joined masa
    Do I still need a pritein skimmer with a dsb?

10. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

You always need a skimmer and get a big one rated 2-3time your tank volume.

IME a NP pellet reactor is much neater and more effective than a DSB as a DSB only removes nitrates which means you end up having to install a phosphate remover eventually. If you have these two things (skimmer and NP reactor) you really only need a heater in you sump, no live rock (although you could add extra) and no DSB or Macro algae as these will compete with the pellet reactor.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2013
  11. trad

Look at Chris and Jes' 400L tank post IMO that is the perfect sump.

12. pkc

pkc

You don’t always need a skimmer, its just best when with one if you are a novice, that’s all. You need a good understanding of how your saltwater responds when waste is applied to it, to do a reef tank with out a skimmer.
    Something along the lines of a deep sand bed removes and converts far more then just nitrate and single celled algae combined with sufficient internal and external bio communities that are with in the beds of what ever media you would use will help with a multitude of elemental conversions. Read up on each part of the functions that allows us to keep varied delicate life forms at home and you will work out what suits your needs. The reactors can be good thing, for space saving, but they are not necessarily the type of thing you can just set and forget. Read up on exactly what they do and how they do it and how much the on going costs are and what maintenance is involved. You can then make an informed choice as to what suits your needs and the space you have. I haven’t looked, but they may have a section in this forum with simple explanations of how each part of bio or mechanical filtration operates.

Last edited by a moderator: 15 Mar 2013
  13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes.
    and yes, Cubes and NP-pellets are more effective, especially in the beginning.
    As I said, there are other factors as well, space, costs and most important, patience.
    Space, for DSB bigger is better. Costs, NP-reactor is the most expensive, need reactor plus pellets, Then ORCA cubes are not cheap either. Get a quote for your size system and work out for yourself.
    Bio-diversity, then a DSB wins easily. Maintenance, NP_reactor looses out.

It up to you. But whatever route you take must be the simplest for you. But take into account the amount of work to maintain it.

14. King_Triton

King_Triton

hey there,

Lol, the first post that i posted here was regarding this as well. I went for the option of a sump with DSB.

Its also my first tank and i only set it up end of Jan. Let me tell you how its been so far.

I havent had any issues with parameters. It all just keeps improving from day one.

My sump doesnt have any live rock, just some tiny pieces of base rock. I keep some cheato to help with the diatom phase, which did the job. If i look closely at my DSB chamber i see 1000s of tiny creatures moving all about, and there's various worms and other organisms growing in there from nothing!!!

My water quality is amazing, always crystal clear and I dont do water changes, just top up once to twice a week from what evaporates. I keep my heaters, skimmer etc in there, so its nice and neat :thumbup:

IME a sump with DSB is easy to maintain and does wonders for the system. Not forgetting increased volume;)

15. King_Triton

King_Triton

Last edited: 19 Mar 2013
  16. trad

Give me some good reasons to not have a skimmer?

17. Nemo84

Nemo84 Thread Starter

This might sound like a stupid question but what is the height of a in sump protein skimmer as I've bought steel for the stand. So wanting to get the correct measurements
    I know each model is different, my tank is 500l so was planning on a skimmer that does 1500l
    If I make the cabinet 1. 2m from bottom of base to underneath of display tank will I have enough clearence ?

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes, unless you want to use an Aquamedic tall boy.

19. King_Triton

King_Triton

Also depends on the skimmer itself, as the skimmer i use would fit comfortably within my sump, but is above it, due to the water level needing to be at a certain height for optimum performance of the skimmer.

20. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Mine is 800mm from sump bottom glass to underside of tank stand & i still have more than enough space to get a 750l rated skimmer in there.
    The problem isnt the stand height so much as the distance between top of sump & stand. If your sump is too high, you are always going to struggle getting things in & out of there.
    Here is my new sump with a skimz skimmer.
    [​IMG]
    Works great & lots of space (even for a nano)
    This skimmer is 530mm high & i would say its one of the taller skimmers out there. Even skimmers with a rating of more than double that is normally shorter...

Last edited: 20 Mar 2013
Recent Posts