Sump Help

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mala1610, 21 Aug 2012.

1. mala1610

mala1610

Hi guys please could you have a look at my sump and let me know if the setup is correct? Not sure if any nutrients are going up to the display?

The first chamber has ceramic bio balls with a protein skimmer. ( protein skimmer is taking water from that chamber and releasing into the refugium chamber).

Middle chamber has DSB.

Third chamber flows through white filter ( foam ) pads then through black plastic bio balls then goes through coral then goes to last chamber where it gets pumped back up to display tank.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

First, the DSB seems too shallow. Should be about 150mm. To make it deeper add 10mm per week until its deep enough.

Then thereafter, you can start to remove the rushed corals. 25% a week.

If the bio-balls float, then you can keep them. Else if they do sink, they will also trap detritus at the bottom of that chamber.

You will find another detritus trap under that ceramic rings. Either remove them, or lift them on a piece of eggcrate. If you can change the skimmer inlet to be under the eggcrate that would even be better. But a detritus trap free 1st chamber would be better.

What is the size of your display tank in relation to your sump? Seems that the sump could rather be a lot bigger.

mala1610 likes this.
  4. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

ok my dsb at the moment is 100mm if i add 10mm a week will it put extra stress on the tank if i cover the existing dsb? is play sand ok to add on?

if i take out the corals is there any use for them anywhere else in my setup?

does the ceramic balls help in any way for creating living surfaces for the good bacteria i had a wet dry trickle filter before i built my sump so i was trying to use the ceramic balls as well. I guess where they are now is no good.

which chamber am i supposed to catch all the waste from my display tank from? and how can i go about doing that?

my display tank is 1.6m x 0.6m x 0.6m
    sump is 90cm x 50cm x 35cm

5. Wes

Wes

No
    Yes
    Preferably the same one as the skimmer in 98% of sumps, it's the first one.
    Filter Sock, cleaned daily/regularly.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2012
    mala1610 likes this.
  6. mala1610

mala1610 Thread Starter

cool I'm beginning to make sense of all this

7. Wes

Wes

make sure not to cover any detrius buildup, if you have any, on the DSB with the 10mm of sand added weekly, syphon if u must, yes you may loose a little sand but hey...

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the crushed coral can be used as substrate, but I will throw it away.

You will see that when you remove the ceramic rings, that a lot of green pea soup is under it. Switch off your skimmer and return pump when you do this. Do not want to blow that crap everywhere else. Then you would understand why its a rubbish trap. Tank is 1.6m and sump only .9m. There should be space at least to increase the total length by .5m, increasing your DSB by that. Most likely double up on your DSB footprint.

Personally, I would replace the sump completely.

If you do replace the sump, work out the extra sand needed. Fill new sump with that, then add your existing sand top 5cm on top of the new sand. Do not use the bottom part of old DSB. Current sand could most likely also have some green pea soup in it, just keep the circulation off. After things settled, then siphon the top of the sand then put the circulation back on. Can use Stability during that week. New DSB will seed a lot faster

9. madmike

madmike

Hi could someone please help me.
    Iv built a small sump for my nano its a 3 stage sump.
    First stage is filter mat,then ceramic noodles, then live rock. Not sure if i should put live rock or bio balls?
    In the second stage i want to put my scrubber,heater and not sure what else?
    Should i just put those items or can i put something else to better it?
    Third stage is just the return pump.
    The sump isnt very big its 350Lx268Wx240H thats all water.

Recent Posts