Sump Help

Reaction score
Hi guys...

I have a slight problem at the moment, I have a 1m x 0.5m x 0.5m Acrylic tank... The problem is the cabinet has a partition in the middle, I've had a look and the partition seems easy enough to remove... It is supporting the tank, but the side and back walls of the cabinet are considerably thicker than the middle partition, so I don't think it would have too much impact on the stability of the cabinet... Has anyone here managed to remove the middle partition to make room for a SUMP successfully, The tank isn't exactly massive, and if my estimate is correct should weigh no more than 250kg...

The only problem I could see happening is warping on the front side which would make the cabinet doors difficult to open, and the even more difficult to close... I'm not much of a handyman myself, so building a support beam at the front would be a full weekend task for me, maybe longer...

The GF is complaining about the big plastic make shift SUMP thing that's sitting in our lounge at the moment, so if you guys could recomend someone that could help with building and installing a SUMP that would also be a great help...

Thanks in advance
Paul

Welcome Paul :)

Why not have a small cabinet built to cover your sump, it could double up as an extra coffee table for the GF. If you have a look at Dragonreef's setup (click here), his sump sits outside on the patio and has a nice cabinet built around it. Might be an alternative option for you.

the centre partition is there for a reason , i.e for added support , i wudnt remove it but rather go via what dean told you ... do not remove partition

I was actually considering this at first, very plausable option... Guess I'll be going this way...

Any recomendations on someone in the JHB area who can design and build something like this?

Last edited:
Paul can you post some pics of your setup ?

There might be other options. I wouldn't recomend removing the centre paertition, but if you have an acryling sump you can join the 2 and drill through the centre.
Something like this, but inside the cabinet.

Random3D2090807009.jpg

Not the greatest pic and I would recomend 2 x 40mm pipes to connect the 2 sumps.
The black container is connected to a second white plastic tub.

Dude dont do it a mate took out the centre brace and all hell broke loose. need i ad we replaced the carpets. My advice to you is as every one elses
Welcome dude

Welcome to the site and i`d recommend you get hold of adriaan at Idol Marine he`ll sort you out with a nice sump and probably an ingenious way of getting it in under your tank.

... I have a slight problem at the moment, I have a 1m x 0.5m x 0.5m Acrylic tank... The problem is the cabinet has a partition in the middle, I've had a look and the partition seems easy enough to remove... It is supporting the tank, but the side and back walls of the cabinet are considerably thicker than the middle partition, so I don't think it would have too much impact on the stability of the cabinet...

A photo of the cabinet/sump area would really help. Also, please tell us what the cabinet walls and partition is made of (superwood ??).

You could brace the cabinet with a (say...) 25mm x 75mm solid wood "beam" running directly below the tank "floor", or you could install some metal or wood triangle braces between the outside "legs" of the stand and the tank floor, but without knowing the facts of the stand (photo...) it's impossible to really suggest anything.

The GF is complaining about the big plastic make shift SUMP thing that's sitting in our lounge at the moment, so if you guys could recomend someone that could help with building and installing a SUMP that would also be a great help...

The other (perhaps easier...) alternative would be to replace the GF :lol:

Hennie

The other (perhaps easier...) alternative would be to replace the GF :lol:

Hennie

Sometimes the simplest solutions are staring us in the face :lol:

Kidding.. Give us a pic Paul.

Thanks guys...

Gonna make a plan for pics when i get home this afternoon...
Been looking through lots of options, think it's better if I give a bit more info before the pics come...

The space inside the cabinet is about 90cm x 37cm and not too sure of the height but I'd guess around 70 - 80 cm, will confirm these measurements though... With the divider I have aprox two 35x32x70-80cm areas.
I have a ReefOct TS1 Skimmer which would be able to sit in one of these compartments, then I'd like to have a DSB/Fug in the other but I wouldn't know where to put the return pump... also evaporation is a bit of a problem and I wouldn't mind having an auto top up which would all fit if I could remove the bracing...

It's possible to run a seperate cabinet for the sump, but may as well put the display on that cabinet and get rid of the one I have...

But now with all these idea's thrown at me at once, I think I may have worked out a way...

sumpideams0.jpg

So, Skimmer in left compartment, DSB/Fug in top right, Return and Top up in bottom right... Overflow will be shared by Skimmer and DBS...

I'd put baffles in the skimmer compartment to get rid of micro bubbles as well as keep the overflow from the DSB/Fuge away from the skimmer as well as increase the size of my return...

I would imagine I'd need some sort of LR or Filter floss chamber or something for the overflow into the DSB to stop the sand bed from blowing all over the place?

Thanks again guys, been tons of help so far, waiting for your comments and suggestions...
Will be back with pics of the cabinet...

Last edited:
Welcome to the site and i`d recommend you get hold of adriaan at Idol Marine he`ll sort you out with a nice sump and probably an ingenious way of getting it in under your tank.

I've tried to get hold of Adriaan with my design idea, but no reply...

Could someone please send me contect details, or recomend someone else that could build the setup I have in mind...

I had the same problem as you with a wooden cabinet... I cut a hole a bit bigger than the sump in the partition with a jigsaw.
By not removing the partition completly, the edges of the partition still hold the weight of the tank. Hope that makes sense.
Only problem was trying to wedge the sump into cabinet.... it just didn't fit so I had to cut a hole in the side of the cabinet to slide the sump in.:( But at least now the hole provides an escape for heat;)

Not suggesting this...just telling you my story. Good luck

Welcome paul i have the same tank as you and i build a housing over the tank for the sump
DSC00649.jpg

That is b4 it was running

Here it is runnin u cant c the sump though but u can get the idea
DSC01021.jpg

Back
Top Bottom