Sump flow rate

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by sandlewood, 15 Jan 2009.

1. sandlewood

sandlewood

I thought I would start a new thread for this.

After talking to Tobes I have put my chiller in-line on the return pump. This has done away with the necessity for a second pump but has slowed my flow rate down quite a bit. I gather that the flow rate thorugh the sump does not have to be high, in fact the slower the rate the better the filtration! What do you guys think.

I have an aquarium systems newjet return pump rated at 3000l/h. I recon this has been reduced to about 2000l/h due to the pipe diameter and head height. Is this OK?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

That depends what size system you have, the ideal is around 3 times your water volume per hour.

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i think it will have some impact on your system as if your skimmer is situated in the sump the amount of water getting to it per hour will be considerably less... may lead to a increase in nutrients and an increase of nuisance algae..

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Sandlewood - firstly, to, make sure that you understand the concept of sumps:
    - remember - your sump is your FILTRATION system, so, you want the water to flow SLOWLY through the sump
    - what I mean by slowly, is that the skimmer must get enough time to suck enough "dirty" water to clean the water
    - the detritus in the water coming from the tank, must have time to settle on the DSB, if the water flow is too quick, then detritus will either settle in the incorrect place, or will not settle on the DSB
    - your macro algae needs time to "consume" nutrients in the water as well...

I have found (my opinion though) that the most optimum sump water flow speed, is maximum 3 to 4 times the sump's water volume....

Now - to actually answer your question - YES - the 2000 litre per hour will be MORE than sufficient....

6. sandlewood

sandlewood Thread Starter

My total volume is +/- 650l - 500 for the display tank and 150 for the sump.

7. Pugsly

Pugsly

I agree - 2000lph is enough flow

8. inflames

inflames

Agreed!:)

9. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Actually more than enough. In my case I aim for 1000 -1500lph max. My skimmer feed pump is 1000lph. My Zeo Reactor is 400lph, so no reason to have it faster.

Recent Posts