Sump dimensions and design

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by VicZA, 19 Jul 2013.

1. VicZA

VicZA

Hi All,

I know the answer is always "you can never have to much flow" but I was wondering a few things about sumps:

1 - How are sump sizes calculated ? Tanks are length x width x depth = x litres, but a sump has compartments in it that never run full ... so how many litres is any particular sump ?
    2 - Is there a "recommended guideline" for sump size vs tank size ?
    3 - I have seen various designs for a filter medium - sand, LR, planted "wet land" - what should one use and what does it depend on ? Size of tank? quantity of fish? type of fish?
    4 - When doing a 10% water change, is this done at the sump ?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

hi @VicZA

1 - you can measure each chamber separately (length x width x depth) and add all chambers, measure to where the water level is

2 - not sure if there is such but i would say the bigger the better (the bigger the sump the more volume of water you add to your system). will also depend what type of filtration you want in the sump

3 - i need more time to explain that one

4 - the 10% water change means 10% of your total water volume. can be done in sump or DT. up to you. i do it in both places because i normally siphon all detritus buildup in the tank and sump

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

You design your sump around what equipment you plan to have.
    Equipment will depend on what you plan to keep, space available, your budget etc.
    Best place to start would be telling us what you want in the tank and what filtration method your heading toward and then well help with dimensions etc.

5. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

Mmmmm ... I would like to go for a 1m tank with soft corals (zoas, etc) some basic fish (clowns mostly) some anenomes and a few critters - however (like everything) as we grow we change our ideas.

As for filtration methods - I don't know enough. I have read up about skimmers (think that is essential) and also maybe a sock-type debris collector (if required) and was thinking of either sand/LR as a gravel filter in the middle of the sump.

If this sounds completely dumb - sorry - just getting into it .... please advise on filtration setups and maybe a link or two to read up on.

6. 459b

Or dumb at all, with all the options out there it can be really confusing.
    You'll need a skimmer.
    A filter sock over the inlet to the sump will catch all the detritus, so is good to have.
    Sand or dsb does lower nitrates but it needs to be a sufficient size to work properly.
    Phosphate remover and carbon are also good to have.
    What else have you looked into? You could all add some macro alga, or maybe even try biocubes.

7. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

Going to look into those and see what they used for and how to implement them.

I have NOTHING at the moment - Hahaha

My first thing I have bought is a Vertex Illumax 900 from Irma for a really nice price.

Now looking at some tank and sump options with Idol and Dorry and will be building my own stand and cabinet myself ..... so VERY fresh still.

Just an info sponge at the moment :thumbup:

8. 459b

Those two companies will be able to give you good advice.
    What helped me a lot was browsing through the Members tanks section, looking for tanks that were the same size and had the same livestock that I wanted and then seeing what filtration they use. Then is was a matter of borrowing ideas to suit my space and budget.

9. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

What size should the outlet from your tank be ? Is 40 or 50 mm to big ? Logically the return should then also be the same size right ? Does the amount of water flowing out of the tank and back again contribute to the "flow" of the tank - stimulating the livestock - or is that "flow" more to do with the internal flow of water created by the addition of wave-makers and the likes ?

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

All depends
    I have a tank with 2 x 32mm outs with 1 x 20mm return, I have a tank with 2 x 50mm ous and 2 x 32mm returns

11. VicZA

VicZA Thread Starter

Also if I have understood the basic sump designs out there, the 3 sections are intake ( where the skimmer is also found), refugium, and return ( where the return pump is) .... How do you decide what to place in the refugium ? Dsb ? Live rock? Algae ?

Recent Posts