Sump Desing Advice Required

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by MerlinT, 7 Jan 2014.

1. MerlinT

MerlinT

Hi Guys
    I am looking for some advice on how to build a sump. I am not sure how many compartments are needed and where what will go. The display tank size will be 1500 600 600 which I think is abut 500Lt. If anyone can calculate if this is right based on the size that will be great. Maybe someone has drawings of their sumps they built. This will be much appreciated. I do not want to go out and buy one as a friend of mine is in the glass business and said he will build one for me free of charge as long as I give him specs. I intend of having a skimmer, DSB/LR and filter floss media ect.
    Thanks and await your responses.

Cheers
    M
    ;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

first, what is the diameters inside the cabinet?

What is the size of your skimmer? Any plans to upgrade to a bigger skimmer. As in a skimmer with bigger footprint?

RO top up? incorporate it or have an external drum? Any specifications on how many days RO should be able to run before empty?

Return pump rating. Should not suck the return chamber empty.
    Related to that, your overflow size. Remember you can only pump to the tank, the same volume that can flow over the overflow.

4. MerlinT

MerlinT Thread Starter

Hi. Will find all this out and let you know. I am actually helping a friend with this. I am clueless when it comes to sumps. I run an external filter canister and a HOB on my system. Waiting on him to reply, if not will advise tomorrow.
    Thanks Riaan
    M

5. Tattoomarius

Tattoomarius

Hi there. The tank in this discussion is mine. Im planning on building this tank- 1500 x 600 x 600. We will be using 12mm glass. It should take 540 L water. Can anyone send me specs and maybe plans for the beat sump. I have a bubble Magus BM 100 skimmer as well

6. Tattoomarius

Tattoomarius

The cabinet must also still be build so it can be whatever size you guys think it should be

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Recent Posts