Sump design

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Subaman, 7 Apr 2015.

1. Subaman

Subaman

Would like to remove the compartments from my sump, and re-fit according to my needs.
    Challenge is that I don't quite know what my needs are! Lol.

For a 6ft tank, +- 620litres, what compartments should I essentially have in my sump for starters. (Initially fish only tank with live rock).
    However would probably progress to a reef look with corals at some point, so would like to cater for what I need up front in terms of the sump layout.

If there is already a similar post, please direct me, else can you provide suggestions, and photos, dimensions, etc of proven layouts?

Much appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Sump design will all depend on the actual dimensions of the sump itself. So go as big as you can and make sure the sump can hold the extra water draining back from the display in the event of the return pump failing or a power outage. Things like what type of skimmer, filtration method to be used etc all have a role to play since you want a big area for a DSB or refugium whereas a smaller area will be fine for a few reactors. External vs internal skimmers makes a big difference on sump dimensions.

4. mitchel

mitchel

have a look a diy sumps on you tube

Recent Posts